Grade passback between Canvas courses

0 Likes
(1)

I was working with a professor recently who teaches a biology lecture section (its own Canvas course, fed from the SIS) and an accompanying lab section (its own Canvas course as well, fed from the SIS) with lab assignments that students need to complete and submit, etc. 

To avoid Module overload (faculty does not wish to crosslist), retain dynamic links and individual course grading autonomy (individual lab sections already come in part from their own blueprint), and overall flexibility - would it be possible to have an internal Canvas LTI that could sync grades between courses?

So, in this specific case, the faculty member teaching the main biology lecture course has a spot in a weighted category called "Lab Reports" worth 20% of the grade. That 20% comes from grades over in the lab section, and they manually transpose grades over (student enrollment in each course aforementioned matches). Since it's a manual process, the students may see their lab grades in that section, but they aren't sure how it fits into their overall biology main course grade until the faculty member does updates in that category.

Canvas has robust and efficient LTIs with major external entities like publishers and SIS, could an internal tool exist? I could see other purposes for this, as well. Cluster courses that pull parts from each other, etc. I understand that a blueprint accomplishes many things, but I'd be curious on the grade pass back feature as a dynamic function in courses that are not crosslisted or do not use a blueprint.

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

jwadec
Community Contributor

We have recently needed this functionality as well. We have about 50 labs right now for over 120 courses. The 120 courses use the lab grade as a % - the lab grade is not recorded on its own.

This could be a timesaver for sure!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.