[Gradebook] Contact email vs SIS login on exported gradebook

0 Likes

Hello,

When using the exported gradebook to communicate with participants/learners, the SIS login is used to email. However, if a participant changes their contact information, this SIS login does not change. We need to be able to have a column with the newest/latest updated contact information when gradebook data is exported. This would make correspondance much more efficient and provide learners/participants with needed information in a timely way.

Sharon

Tags (2)
4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @SharonGarcia,

I know this is not necessarily an answer to your request, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.  If you're in the USA, to be in the "best" compliance of FERPA laws, you'll probably want to communicate with students only using their official school email addresses, especially if discussing anything about grading.  I say "best" because as with many laws, different people can have their own interpretation of things.  In almost ever FERPA session I've ever attended, communicating via official emails has come up as a general best practice.  If students have forwarding setup, that is on them.  You could say adding additional emails to Canvas is similar to setting up email forwarding, but I'd advice to use the official email whenever possible as those emails are generally setup with school authentication.  If you're in another country this may not apply to you at all, but it's something to think about.

-Chris

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @SharonGarcia ...

Do you use New Analytics at all?  If so, you can run a report in each course called "Class Roster".  It includes the following:

ClassRoster-NewAnalytics.jpg

Check out this Guide for more info:

How do I view and download reports in New Analytics?

Hope this will help a bit.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.