[Gradebook] Default Grade Posting Policy Options

0 Likes
(3)

I find it somewhat counterintuitive that the grades in courses are set to automatically release upon entry. My preference would be that the default setting hides grades so that they can be manually released after entry.

Even if the instructor/administrator wants to publish grades immediately after entry, it makes more sense to enter grades for an entire class and then to publish all individual's grades simultaneously.

In our case, we collect all assignment grades and calculate the final grades before releasing, but it has unfortunately happened multiple times that if we do not manually change the setting to hide grades before the instructor enters them, students see their scores as soon as these are entered.

Not sure what the logic is, but this feature has definitely causes frustration over the past year.

Best,

Ally M.

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

JaiWOwen
Community Participant

I can understand this issue for others. However in my organisation it's beneficial that the grades go out when marked as we mark individually due to our courses having learners at different stages of the course (TLDR: We don't have classes).

I would therefore suggest an amendment to the original idea, I suggest an option to select which is the default, put this in account/sub-account settings. This would reduce the problem of having to manually change the setting instead of transferring it to those that prefer grades to show.

Regards,

Jai Owen

nuscitpkg
Community Explorer

My institution is in the process of moving to Canvas. In our previous LMS, the equivalent of grade posting policy was manual.

You can imagine that teaching staff here are going to have a shock when they start using SpeedGrader and find out that students can see the marking and grades the moment each submission is graded.

@JaiWOwen's suggestion is a good one. Whether grade posting is done automatically or manually should be an option which admins set in the account settings. (Not sure I would extend it to sub-account, although that could be a setting it in itself.)

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.