[Gradebook] Message Students Who: Video Comment

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We're frequently reminded of the positive impact we can establish with students by using video messaging, especially in our asynchronous classes.

In Gradebook, I use the "message students who" feature frequently and I'd like to see it  include the ability to send students a message by video or audio. 

Thanks!

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

This is a great idea!

I sometimes make short videos for individual students through my Canvas Inbox. I have found them particularly effective for students who need additional guidance and support.

I also use the "Message Students Who...." feature in the Gradebook to contact students who are missing assignments or have low scores.

It would be great to have a way to easily reach multiple students at once with a video comment.

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @raskinj and @SusanNiemeyer,

Just wanted to send a quick note to let you know that the "Message Students Who..." feature from the gradebook has been updated and now includes this capability. Your request was very timely as the team was already working on this project! Love when the stars align on timing! 🙂

The change to allow attachment of videos AND also files was made when we completed the work to also allow for inclusion of observers on the message. We were able to do this as a nice bonus update. These changes went live to production with our June 18, 2022 release.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-06-18)

raskinj
Community Participant

@jsailor thanks for the heads up! I used the new feature and am very pleased - it's just what I was looking for. 😀😀👏

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Wonderful news, @raskinj! Thanks for the follow up to let us know that it worked as you'd expected. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed