[Gradebook Settings] Set Default Grade for any Submission

We have had several faculty request the ability to set up an Assignment or Discussion or Quiz to award points for ANY SUBMISSION.  So the student would get a 0 for no submission and full points for any submission. We'd like to see the ability to set a default grade in the gradebook column that awards full points for any submission and a 0 to students who have not submitted. 

Added to Theme

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing this idea, @briddell . However, we're not able to move this forward for conversation in this forum because Assignments, Discussions, and New Quizzes are each separate features within Canvas. Each request for an automatic grade would need to be prioritized and then developed separately by the team responsible for that feature working in conjunction with the Gradebook team. Please read through How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? for guidance on writing singularly-focused ideas.

briddell
Community Participant

Thanks for this input. Perhaps I should have reworded, and you could help me with that.

You can set a Default Grade in the Gradebook for any graded assessment. This is an enhancement to that, instead of only offering the ability to give EVERY student a default grade of X, also offering the option to give EVERY STUDENT WHO HAS MADE A SUBMISSION a default grade of X.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@briddell  Thanks for clarifying that! Yes, focusing on the default grade functionality in the Gradebook is definitely the way to go with this request. However, the "automagically" part of the description doesn't fit, because setting a default grade for an assignment is a manual function—and making it automatic is the part that would likely require separate ideas.

I'll edit the description and open the idea. By all means, let me know if it isn't consistent with what you're hoping to see.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme