Gradebook Smart View by Group

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Description:  In the Gradebook instructors need the ability to view students by Group.  It could be as easy as adding a filter by group at the top of the page.

The Need for this feature:  Currently we must use “manual” sections to facilitate this which is added maintenance for the course set-up.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-22)

10 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

admin_brake
Community Participant

This feature could be especially valuable in classes with large numbers of students, with several TA's to help grading.

natasha_csu
Community Novice

It would be extremely helpful for large classes with multiple TAs handling different groups of students. Smart views by Groups will let each TA see only their groups of students in Grades. Currently we have a lot of workarounds in place to make this possible. That is time consuming, requires hours of manual work and cause user errors occasionally.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Those considering this idea may want to look at the use cases mentioned in .

cab11c
Community Novice

Because I teach one section of a class with multiple sections, I am not able to create multiple sections within my class. So, I can't use the workaround mentioned above. In my class, I let students choose between different project tracks, and being able to filter by groups in the grade book would make it much easier to keep track of the different assignments for different groups of students. It would also be nice to assign assignments by group (and not just section) for the same reason.

kas200
Community Participant

We're launching an iteration of this idea again! If you're still interested in this functionality, consider giving the new one a vote: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8059-filter-grades-by-group 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-06-22)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

admin_bu_carr Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as, admin_brake Thank You ,  @natasha_csu  Thank You ,  @RobDitto  Thank You , cab11c Thank You , &  @kas200  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed