Gradebook - need automatic way to reduce final grade by X points for unexcused absences

0 Likes

We need a way to automatically reduce students' final grades for unexcused absences. 

The roll call tool doesn't allow for grade deductions and is based on a percentage vs straight deduction point/s. 

We tried a workaround that adjusted the final grade automatically, but it was confusing to students and instructors, alike. So, now we're adding a notes column in the gradebook where absences are recorded (so students can see this) and then manually reducing the final grade outside of Canvas. 

Please add a way to automatically adjust the final grade (by point/s) that also provides documentation within Canvas (that students can also see).  

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

kingsburybrunet
Community Explorer

I would love to see this feature added as well. How does one add a "Notes" column like what you describe? At the moment, I'm experimenting with adding an "Excess Absences" column that shows students how many points will be (manually) deducted from their average at the end of the semester, but it would be great to have something that factored it in automatically. Also, does it make a difference if the course uses weighted grades vs. not? I think I know how I would set something up in a course without grade weighting to make this work, but I don't know whether the same approach would work in a course that uses weighted grades. (For that reason, I have my "Excess Absences" column weighted at 0% and I'm doing the deductions manually, at least for the time being.)

lettgo583
Community Participant

@kingsburybrunet I misspoke about the Notes column! Students cannot see that. 

Here's information How do I use the Notes column in the Gradebook?

We always use grade weighting ... so I haven't experimented with how you're handing the deduction for absences. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.