Gradebook should automatically flag Turnitin submissions using the missing and late statuses

(1)

Currently, Gradebook does not automatically flag Turnitin submissions as expected.

If a Turnitin submission is late then it is not currently flagged with the late status. Similarly, a non-submission is not currently marked as missing. I feel this is actually a bug and not a feature request as it causes, for example, the sort functionality to fail.

In the following image, you can see a closed Turnitin assignment (where the due date is past) and the submission is not marked with the missing status (it does not have a pink background). You can also see the sort functionality fail to work.

Missing submission not marked with missing status

Al the information for Canvas/Gradebook to perform the automatic flagging is present. From the image, one can clearly see that Gradrbook knows there are submissions present and knows the highlighted one is missing (due to the dash). In the Assignments module, Canvas displays the Turnitin assignment as "closed" - which means it can deduce that this submission is indeed missing.

This would make administration much easier for large classes and should be straightforward to implement.

7 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @l_p_oreilly . I want to make sure I understand this idea correctly. You are asking for the color statuses described in How do I use the icons and colors in the Gradebook? to apply even when there is a color icon for Turnitin?

l_p_oreilly
Community Explorer

Hi Adam,

Short answer: yes 🙂

The color icons for Turnitin represents the similarity score for a submitted assignment.

The idea is for Gradebook / Canvas to automatically apply the missing and late statuses to Turnitin assignments as it does for "normal" assignments. Currently, no statuses are applied automatically. Thus, for managing classes of over 300 students, it would be a bit of tedious work to tag them all manually.

So I see the Gradebook status indicator (I.e., background colour of cell indicating the status) to be separate from the Turnitin similarity score indicator - both can be present. 

So basically, this idea is about allowing easier management of submissions when dealing with Turnitin (and possibly other external tools) - so the submissions and Gradebook works in the same way as for normal assignments - unifying the two.

Best,

Liam

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Update: In re-reading the post, I see that the sort functionality was also mentioned. I'm researching this a bit and it could be because Turnitin assignments are treated as submissions through an external tool. I'm trying to get more information about that now.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We do have this existing idea that I was able to find once thinking about it through the context of external tools, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15440-new-gradebook-functioning-with-external-tool-lti-assignm....

l_p_oreilly
Community Explorer

Hi,

Yes, the sort function does not work correctly when sort by missing or late is selected. This is, I think because it is an external tool - the documentation states that the automatic application statuses do not apply to external tools. However, what I am asking is basically, that the external tool works more like the built-in assignments - so that the two work in the same way when it comes to the statuses. All the data is there as far as I can tell for the canvas to be able to do this.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.