Grading Periods in New Analytics

0 Likes
(4)

I just discovered that I can message students based on their course grades using New Analytics. However, I'd like to suggest a feature: Instead of only being able to message students who have an average for the year, let me message students who have an average for a given quarter.

For example, if I do "Message students who... 0–59%," this is what I see:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.01.17 AM.png

But if I look at my gradebook, I see there are 14 students. That's because I'm looking at the specific grading period, but the New Analytics page only calculates for the whole course. A student might have done really well in the first quarter and then has outside influences affecting the second quarter. Those students still need to be notified. I'd like to be able to apply a filter for either assignment groups (I do new groups each quarter) or grading periods. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.10.20 AM.png

Course grades work well in higher ed, I'm sure, but in K–12, each grading period is usually a fresh start. For my students, how they do in Q1 has no effect on their Q2 grade.

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

gmangiafico
Community Novice

Great idea!

kimberly_midden
Community Member

I agree. I would like to be able to modify the range of time to the quarter or even the week.

laura_clark
Community Explorer
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived