Grading Slider Bar

0 Likes
(2)

Please revert the new slider bar for posting grades in the app back to the ability to TAP the grades.  The slider constantly advances the page to the next student document, WHICH IS MADDENING.  It happens regardless if I use my finger or Apple Pencil.  This is a retrogressive move.

Tags (2)
13 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jennyreader 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Would you confirm that you've updated the app to the latest version of Canvas Teacher for iOS (1.12.1)?

jennyreader
Community Member
Author

Yes, I have iOS 1.12.1.

The toggle continues to be an issue.  Every grade I post advances the document to the next student.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jennyreader 

Thanks for your reply. This will need to be investigated by Canvas Support, as it's not expected behavior. Please use the support pathway provided by your school to initiate a case. How do I get help with the Teacher app on my iOS d...  has the general instructions.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

jennyreader
Community Member
Author

I don't think you understand, or perhaps I do not understand you.

In the four to five years I have used Canvas, we were always able to choose whether to slide the bar grade over or (my favored choice) tap in the approximate area on the bar on the app.  If the grade were 10 out of 10, tap at the far right.  Done.

However, with the new Canvas app update, there is no option as you are forcing the slide.  This is annoying because I must get the stylus EXACTLY on the circle, or the document advances to the next student.  

Perhaps I am misunderstanding--are you saying that the tap option has been reinstated?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jennyreader We've asked one of our mobile experts who uses Canvas Teacher for iOS regularly to review this, and she says that the functionality hasn't been changed: it's detailed in How do I grade an assignment submission in the Tea... That said, it's altogether possible that both she and I are misunderstanding the new behavior you're experiencing, so at this stage Canvas Support is in the best position to look directly at the issue. 

Thanks! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

Yes, there seems to be an issue with the slider bar. I've seen it too. Since the last update, the behavior of the slider bar had adjusted. (This slider bar has been really easy to provide scores to students with until now.) Sometimes, you can adjust the bar, but sometimes it skips to the next student. You used to be able to also tap the bar on the continuum to get a score or the full-points possible on the right, but now it's only the left-to-right motion. ...if it catches. 

@jennyreader@Stef_retired is right in suggesting a support ticket. It's the best and fastest way to communicate the issue with the Mobile Team.

ADRIENNEANDRES
Community Member

This has slowed the work flow TREMENDOUSLY!

MagistraS
Community Member

With the new update I can't just easily tap the end of the slider bar to give full marks to the student or right in the middle for half credit.  Instead I have to slide it all the way across - and hope that my finger is on exactly the right place on the line or it flips to the next student's work. 

Can this feature revert back to having the option for a tap for a grade?

This slows down grading and is a bit frustrating.  I have the 1.12.1 version of the app

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@MagistraS  If you haven't already, please use the pathway to support provided by your school to report this; our mobile team is collecting cases that will assist in investigating the issue.

rseilham
Community Champion

@jennyreader, @MagistraS, @ADRIENNEANDRES - I'm not seeing this issue in Canvas Teacher 1.12.2. If you are still seeing this issue, my other suggestion would be to uninstall (delete) and reinstall the app. Also, are you using the latest version of iOS (currently 14.4.2)? Let me know if any of this helps. Thanks. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jennyreader @MagistraS @ADRIENNEANDRES 

We've just added an update to the app, so please install the latest version of Canvas Teacher for optimal performance on the slider.