Grading a Quiz with Pen

0 Likes
(1)

I had asked this a year ago and I see others with the same issue.  Why can't we use our Ipad and Pen to grade quizzes on the Canvas application through Speedgrader? I can edit papers and other assignments, but when I create a quiz where the students enter the information in the textbox on Canvas, I have to type all of my responses into the comment box?  

10 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi!

Have you installed Canvas Teacher on your device? I love being able to annotate using the Apple Pencil (or regular stylus) within Speedgrader. This is done using the draw tool. 

How do I add DocViewer annotations in the Teacher app on my iOS device? 

If you've been using the Canvas Teacher app, I wonder what's preventing you from using the draw tool to add comments. Could you share a screenshot of your Speedgrader screen?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

After rereading this -- with Quizzes, that could be different, yes.

Are students uploading files, or are they submitting text entries?

Could you assign an Assignment with a file upload so you could easily use your Apple Pencil or stylus and then add the Assignment to the Quiz assignment category?

chris_kelley
Community Explorer

I could do that, but 1) I get a bunch of emails from students telling me they couldn't upload their files or that time ran out before they could upload, or any myriad of tech based problems that I really don't want to deal with.  I went to having them writing their answers in the text box to simplify the number of emails I get.  Maybe this is a bigger problem to fix than I am thinking, but I am not clear why I cannot annotate right onto the answers, or even batch download their answers to grading offline--to do that, I have to copy and paste their responses into a Word document, which isn't really helping with the problem.  So in short, I could have them file upload, but having done that in the past, I prefer not to.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Ah. Yes, that sounds more complicated.

Right now, the annotation feature isn't supported on text submissions, even in Speedgrader for Assignments.

How do I grade a text entry submission in SpeedGra... - Canvas Community 

I think that's where your Idea Conversation could lead : Make it possible to have annotation tools available for text entry submissions

chris_kelley
Community Explorer

Yes  my hope is that it could be something added to Canvas by the developers since I am not the only person who has asked for it.  Again, I do not have any idea of the technical details to this but boy would it be appreciated!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@chris_kelley and @KristinL Thanks to both of you for collaborating on this! Chris, please add your support to the discussion currently underway at Allow Annotations to Text Entry Submissions in SpeedGrader and we'll archive this one to keep that thread from branching off.

chris_kelley
Community Explorer

I am receiving an error in the link you provided. Could you check to let me know if it is the right link?

Thanks for the help.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@chris_kelley I think a formatting error crept into that URL and link; sorry about that. Try this one: Allow Annotations to Text Entry Submissions in Spe... - Canvas Community