Graduated Scoring for Quiz Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

New Quizzes users can create multiple choice questions with varying points by answer. For more information, please read through is How do I create a Multiple Choice question in Quizzes.Next?  and  FAQ: New Quizzes.

Our faculty members would like to be able to provide graduated scoring on multiple choice Canvas quizzes.

For example, for a quiz with 4 answers, the scoring might be as follows:

A - 8 points

B - 2 points

C - 0 points

D - 10 points

24 Comments
jrg
Community Novice

Don, I got here late, but this concept is extremely important to me.  You hit the reasons dead on--in post baccalaureate work the answers are rarely simple.  I also know that Sakai, and possibly other competing systems have this feature.

I gather it's dead for now in Canvas. How do we resuscitate it?  Thanks.  John.

cwendt
Community Champion

John, this concept has been brought up again HERE, and we are halfway to where we need to be. Please upvote it and encourage your colleagues to do so, as well; we still need 48 votes.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi  @cwendt ​ - Sounds like you're doing a great job generating some support for your idea. (I don't vote cuz I work for Canvas-Instructure.)

Are you part of any Canvas community groups? If so, sometimes it helps to share this idea to a group and explain the importance behind it to gain extra support. You might also want to send an email to your faculty/staff and encourage them to log in and vote, too. Be sure to include the link to How do I log into the Community with my Canvas Account?​ along with the URL link to your idea! Smiley Happy

Remember - the Canvas Community is 27K members strong!!

Good luck!

johnpj
Community Contributor

It looks like there is a similar concept( ) that is in the gathering Information state. We will see how that progresses; If it does not make the cut, I will talk to our CSM to see how we can refine this idea to make it align better with Canvas' roadmap.

cwendt
Community Champion

Thank you for the suggestion! I hadn't thought of promoting it through groups.

I did mail it to my colleagues and several have voted.

jclutterham
Community Novice

Hi Biray Richard Bartolowits, John Johnston and all,

I am new to Canvas (also migrating from Moodle) and am very interested in this feature. How can we push to have a new vote with renewed support?

My interest: I would like students to report in some cases the completion of various assignments/activities that I do not need to evaluate specifically at that time. For example, when I assign a selection of reading, I want the completion of that reading to be recorded and rendered "straight-to-gradebook" without taking time myself to enter that data. And the graduated scoring gives the opportunity to award various levels of credit for various percentages of completion. Quality of reading can be assessed separately (quality of contribution to classroom discussion, content questions asked later on midterm or final exams, etc.)

The quiz activity is so powerful for course functioning since it also provides a straight-to-gradebook benefit to the instructor for non-knowledge based evaluations.

Thanks!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

For all who are still interested in this feature idea of being able to have Graduated Scoring for Quiz Questions, please take a look at this similar idea which will go up for voting in August!  

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea will remain in the open voting forum as an idea related to Priority: Quizzes.Next

*Being a related idea does not guarantee it is slated for development, instead it indicates that the idea is related to the overall scope and is being used to inform the process.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

New Quizzes users can create multiple choice questions with varying points by answer. For more information, please read through How do I create a Multiple Choice question in the Quizzes LTI? 

hannah_crowder
Community Novice

Yes. Please allow partial scoring in multiple answer questions. The all or nothing that is available right now isn't very helpful for formative assessments.