Group Discussion and Full Class Discussion

0 Likes
(2)

Hello!

In our discussion activity, we have two types of discussion -- group discussion and full class discussion -- for the same discussion topic. First, students are put in different groups and can interact with each other. Then, after the group discussion is over and a group leader summarizs the discussion into one post.

Here comes the problem: the group leader cannot submit the post to full class discussion in the same discussion link. Students only see the posts form their group, but not posts from other groups.

Both the group discuss and full class discussions are graded. We do not want to separate the two types of discussions in two activities with two SpeedGrader. 

Could you please consider to allow group discussion and full class discussion together? Thank you!

9 Comments
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

I would really like to see this feature as well as others where the group discussions, pages, etc can be linked or shared with the whole class. I have been searching and it seems like these features of connecting group level activity in Canvas to whole class level don't exist.

Please provide this interactivity!!

smcginn1
Community Member

I agree. This is exactly what we want/need. It should be simple to allow students to select *either* to post to the full group *or* to the small group. Every social media app allows this. Why not Canvas?

anthony_bolanos
Community Member

I think this needs to be implemented. I have a professor that is interested in this and would like this added. 

aod
Community Member

In addition to Group Discussions, there should be a way to assign a Class Discussion to Groups, meaning 1 group member can post to the discussion, and all class members from all groups can see the post.

I use groups for projects, but for the best learning experience these groups should not be silohs!  I want groups to be able to post a project update within a whole class discussion, so everyone else can see how other groups are approaching the work.

If I ask groups to do this currently, I need to grade every student individually which requires reading the discussion in 1 window, with Speedgrader in another, and Groups tab in third so I can figure out which group members should receive credit. This is maddening in a class with 15 groups and 45 students! 

Instead, I want to be able to create a Class Discussion, and assign it to Groups (instead of a private Group Discussion), so all Group members can receive credit for the 1 post, and yet they can still see the updates from the rest of their classmates in other groups.  

tljy
Community Member
I would like to have class-wide discussions that are worked on in groups.   I would like my students to work on a response to a prompt in groups, post it as a group to the entire class, and then be able to grade them as a group as I can if it was a regular assignment.  Currently you can only groups post as one (and be graded as one) if you set up a Group Discussion; in this scenario the entire class cannot see their posts and it still only allows an individual from a group to post.
kcteach
Community Novice

As is, if you create a group discussion, only members of that specific group can interact with each other. 

I want a group to group discussion board where group 1 can post, and groups 2-6 can comment and interact with that post/all of the other group's post. The author is the group itself, not an individual student. 

mv
Community Member

I have a related issue: I created 3 discussion groups. However, only one student posted in each group. Now I’d like to merge the 3 groups which doesn’t seem possible. The workaround for me was to create a new discussion group and copy and paste the 3 posts in the new discussion. Unfortunately, this prevents me from viewing each student’s posts in SpeedGrader.   

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.