[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
mmclennan
Community Novice

Sorry for the late reply Henry -- your suggestion re: sections is already more likely to succeed than what I do, which is to manually assign from marks to the other students in each group on completion of the exercise.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182468_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

egreen1
Community Novice

I'm sad this didn't get enough upvotes this cycle. Group quizzes seems to be a common-sense idea that repeatedly comes up for voting.  I hope it will be considered for development as part of the revamp of the quiz engine.

jkeohane
Community Participant

I spent today looking for the group quiz, as I want my students to answer questions during lab.

The same idea, a series of question that I can grade, but they type up on the computer while in lab.

What I really wanted was to have the students hand in an assignment that way.

So, another possibility is to put a quiz interface through the assignment page.

There is already a drop-down menu asking how they get handed in. 

Perhaps adding "as a quiz" to this?

That would be nice because rarely do people call group assignments "quizzes"  but we often call them things like "labs."

ecastro
Community Participant

How did this not garner more votes!? Weird…

cohenf
Community Participant

Consider this a huge thumbs-up vote

sara_samples
Community Novice

There are SO MANY of these group quiz requests with less than 100 votes each.  It's really clear people want this feature.  Group assignments are already a feature.  Why quizzes are treated so differently from assignments is a complete mystery to me. 

cohenf
Community Participant

In fairness, I can see why they are treated differently. Harmonizing group responses to quiz items is more challenging than group work on other assignments. Still, I hope it is and can be done.

mmclennan
Community Novice

I have the same feeling.

More importantly, from a coding perspective, the adjustment would seem to

be trivial.

In my latest cycle, I've had to have students download a word doc quiz

template, answer questions and re-upload, and then I manually mark their

submission just to satisfy the admin requirement of it being a group quiz.

On Saturday, 17 September 2016, cohenf@franklinpierce.edu <

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.