[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
cohenf
Community Participant

I clicked on your link, but it doesn't go to "Group Quizzes." It goes to "Cold Storage," a group that requires approval to join. It's a little confusing.

cohenf
Community Participant

I've chimed in before on this. Just adding that with rapidly developing pedagogy in team-based learning, this quiz option is nearing the point of being "essential."

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@cohenf , please bear with us for a little while as the feature ideas process is in the process of being overhauled and relaunched--and because of that, some of the links that were provided months, or even weeks, ago, are now obsolete and have been archived (hence your fruitless journey to Cold Storage). The idea on which we are commenting right now is going to be re-opened for voting on March 1, 2017. You can read more about what's being done at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/blog/2017/02/17/flipping-the-switch-on-canvas-featur...

cohenf
Community Participant

No problem. Thanks, stefaniesanders

vivat_bangurash
Community Participant

I'm curious as to how this ended.  Did it get voted in?  I'd love to be able to use this feature.  Sorry so late to the party.  I'm really just starting to better understand what I can do with Canvas including how to use the group feature.  I wanted to make a quiz that partners could do together, but found there was no way to make it into a group quiz.  Is this still being voted on?  If so, where can I go to add my vote for yes?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@vivat_bangurash ‌, this idea is still open for voting. Just make sure you're logged into the Community, then click on the Vote up button to record your upvote. 

vivat_bangurash
Community Participant

How many votes does it need to get passed?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@vivat_bangurash ‌, the evaluation process takes place on a rolling six-month basis and does not depend on a set number of votes. For more insight into how the Canvas product is developed, please refer to What is the feature development process for Canvas?

rohrbgn
Community Novice

This is a great idea that has immediate application to 'active learning' and 'collaborative learning' environments. I have my students divided into teams and would love to assign quizzes to them as teams. It would be a straightforward expansion of the support for group assignments already present in Canvas. I was surprised when I couldn't find the option. #quizzzes.next_new

jkeohane
Community Participant

I was hoping to start using this for this semester.  It would be so easy to implement.  Oh well ...