[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
ebhirsch
Community Novice

We use team-based learning in several courses at U of Minnesota, College of Pharmacy. We need the functionality of a group quiz for our team readiness assurance tests (tRAT). We also would like to incorporate the suggestions from "Submit multi-question assignment question by question" so that our student groups can get immediate feedback on whether they got the question right, like we can do in Moodle. If they got the question wrong, then we would like to give them the opportunity to discuss and then retry (select another answer). We would like the functionality for the instructor to incorporate a percentage of points deduction for each attempt (e.g. 1 point if group answers correctly first time, 0.5 pt if they answer correctly on 2nd attempt). 

emilywthompson
Community Explorer

Yes please. I have a class with 125 students and I only have 65 seats in the computer lab. Right now I have to manually assign the quiz to a bunch of drag and drop individuals for the 9am and a second set of drag and drop individuals for the 11am quiz. This is very inefficient. Why not use groups? We cannot use Sections b/c instructors do not have the ability to manipulate sections on the fly. Smiley Happy

jmoon
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful to the College of Pharmacy. 

ahunter
Community Novice

I would love love love to see this! My current work-around is to have one student submit the quiz. Then the TA assigns the same grade to the other group members (the first question asks the names of group members). A problem with it is that then they have to ask the partner who was logged in to show them the corrected quiz. 

PLEASE make quizzes for groups a reality!!!

emilywthompson
Community Explorer

To add insult to injury, when you are selecting names to split out 125 students into 3 or more separate examination dates/times, the names are not alphabetized!!! Smiley Sad

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

Group tests cannot work with New Quizzes because it is an external LTI tool. See this article How do I assign an assignment to a course group? for more information.

sara_samples1
Community Participant

are new quizzes going to be our only option in the future?  I still use the native canvas quiz tool for most of my classes, because the external LTI is kind of a hot mess. 

cohenf
Community Participant

Sara Samples wrote:

are new quizzes going to be our only option in the future?  I still use the native canvas quiz tool for most of my classes, because the external LTI is kind of a hot mess. 

It sure is. I've provided the staff with bugs that I repeatedly encounter and I do mean "bugs," not limitations.

sara_samples1
Community Participant

Ugh.  While there are some cool things about the external LTI, it needs a ton of work and frankly, I'm not super comfortable with it being external.  

mieke_hoing
Community Participant

This would be a great feature to do two-stage assessments!