[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
julie_hansen2
Community Member

Currently you can create an assignment and assign it to GROUPS, but you cannot create a quiz and make that assignable to a GROUP.  This really needs to be included in Canvas.  Without it I have to create an assignment which has say, 5 multiple choice questions, and then assign it to a group and then the group has to submit as a text entry, word doc, etc but this has to be MANUALLY graded. 

Could we have quizzes where we create the quiz questions with the correct answer, distractors, etc. then assign this to a group.  I thought for sure we could but Canvas support confirmed this is currently NOT possible.

kay_shenoy
Community Participant

I agree! I need to be able to assign different quizzes to different groups of students. I could do this if I could create sections and assign students to different "sections" within the course. but adding 300 students to different sections one by one is the most ridiculously tedious and time consuming process! 

rexj
Community Participant

I posted an idea here about a scenario where teams complete a quiz with each subsequent attempt is pen.... This will only work if group quizzing is possible. I want this for that reason. I can also see other uses of group quizzing. Please make this happen.

karen_harris1
Community Participant

Team/Group quizzing is wonderful for students for promoting discourse and community.  It also switches up the perspective on assessment overall, which is overturning lots of preconceived notions about how students learn and how they demonstrate mastery.  Perhaps not enough votes happened initially because the world was still focused on high-stakes assessments as the gold standard.  We have come a long way since then - Canvas please take note.  I guide instructors, for example, on how to implement TBL, and the GRAT phase is not really doable in Canvas at this time.  Consider that this is a feature that would support students directly, by shifting the assessment further in their direction to more thoroughly support learning and retention.

lbrand
Community Member

I often want to give my students the opportunity to complete assessments or quizzes in small groups but currently this isn't an option in the quizzes setup.  A group option needs to be added to Canvas Quizzes!

gilbert
Community Member

This would be a big help for Team-Based Learning, as well, since it relies on group quizzes. See https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Support-quot-tRAT-quot-quizzes-for-Team-Based-...

nynke_schulp
Community Member

yes please!!! Quizzes are so convenient - if we can only allow students to work and submit together, that would be a simple change in canvas that would make the life of many teachers so much easier. 

Artemis_Tsampas
Community Novice

As a support assistant for faculty members and students, we receive frequently questions and requests about a feature on canvas that instructors can assign quizzes and assignment to groups, but individually to students. That will be convenient and necessary to instructors with combined courses and with hundreds of students. 

a1063023
Community Explorer

I run an honours project course in which all students work in groups. We have around 350 students and 100 groups. It's quite common to require groups to answer surveys/quizzes about their project for various purposes. Unfortunately, if I set up a quiz for this purpose (I'm using "new quizzes"), it can only be answered by individual students, so there's no way within Canvas of identifying which groups have responded and which have not. 75% of my gradebook will be empty.

The idea: quizzes should have the same setting as assignments — "This is a group assignment"

vivat_bangurash
Community Participant

Again...as I asked several years ago, why is this still in the voting stage? There are so many up-votes.  I will reiterate the need for such a feature.