[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
brenda_sirovich
Community Member

Why wouldn't this be an option – assignments and quizzes have such different functionality, and the former has been available for groups for quite some time.  I am surprised the group option for quizzes isn't a reality – and that the idea has been out there for discussion for so long yet appears not to have been implemented.  Implementation should be so straightforward. 

jholte
Community Novice

I don't understand this archival process.  If someone submits an idea that has already been archived, and it is getting votes, it seems like the votes on the similar archived idea should count toward the new request.  We are all discovering what this softward can and cannot do at different times. 

jholte
Community Novice

Why do you send emails around with links to items that are closed to voting?  This just serves remind me how disappointed I am that Canvas won't implement group quizzes.

brenda_sirovich
Community Member

I'm afraid I'm not sure who (or how many) are on the To line (it's all very cryptic), so I'll try to be brief.

I'm a Canvas user (in VT/NH) who did a Google search the other day to figure out how to implement a Group Quiz ... I was led to several comment streams requesting the function (and so surmised it was not available), and added my two cents in support.

I realize now I had no idea who'd get a message (if anyone) — and I join in your apparent frustration:

— about the absence of a Group Quiz option

— about the mechanism Canvas uses to determine whether functionality should be added (a vote, really? of random folks who happen upon the idea on the Internet? that's product development?)

— and about the strange and cryptic design of online idea forums

(Sorry, not that brief.)

best,

Brenda Sirovich

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. . . sent from my iFix​

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jholte , this idea is not currently archived. It is still open for voting (the date header that displays was preserved to indicate the period in which it was initially considered), and if you are logged into the Community, you will be able to vote on it.

rohrbgn
Community Novice

Thank you for pointing this out. I have now managed to vote in favor of my own (among others') idea, which I didn't think I would be able to do. I sure wish this whole suggestion-cum-voting process were less opaque.

jholte
Community Novice

If it is still open for voting perhaps the sentence  Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016 right next to the "learn more about voting" link should be changed.  At any rate, at least I now know that my colleagues can still vote.  Thank you.

gulseren_mutlu
Community Novice

I really need this option to design experiments within the classroom.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jholte ‌, preserving the date headers was part of our Canvas Studio relaunch; after putting ideation on hold while the redesign took place, we reopened ideas that had achieved 70 votes or more in an earlier voting period ("Reopened Ideas for Voting") as well as some ideas that aligned with existing product priorities; the date headers reflect the initial period of consideration. Anyone who is logged into the Community who navigates to ideas such as this will see voting buttons available.

leslie_dow
Community Novice

That was exactly what I was thinking. I'd been thinking about how to set up lab reports on Canvas but often they are both group and individual work. This would make that simpler and help grading. It would also make easier to identify copying between group members of the work that is supposed to be done by the individual.