[New Quizzes] Group Quizzes

I propose the ability to make a quiz a group quiz, like you can for assignments. As a course gets larger instructors would like the ability to automate the activities to include more students and not have to rely on TAs to get things done - we also think this would save in-class time. We realized that not all students are bringing devices to class and it would help if a group quiz would allow one student to submit a quiz he/she has submitted for a group.

To sum up:

- group quiz

- all students would receive credit as it is a group activity

- just like a group "assignment"

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

99 Comments
leslie_curren
Community Novice

Long past time for group quizzes to become a thing...as previous commenters have pointed out, 1) team-based learning, including team-based quiz/test-taking, is a big part of current pedagogy, and 2) some of the coding that would be required should already be in place because of group assignments. I realize that of course it’s not that simple because of the live aspect of quizzing—e.g., if multiple students have it open simultaneously, how is that handled—but it’s such an important aspect of online learning that I hope it makes progress in the Canvas queue of development priorities.

Until then, what I did this past semester was create breakout rooms in Zoom, have all the students open the quiz, then have one student share his/her screen (through Zoom) and enter answers as the group discussed them. I would then grade that submission, screenshot my feedback on incorrect questions, and share those screenshots with each of the other members of the group, as well as entering the score for those other members. WOOF. For classes of 20 it was doable...not sure how I’ll handle it for a class of 80 this fall, but I know it WON’T be like that. Group quizzes sure would be a lifesaver. Smiley Happy 

rohrbgn
Community Novice

L

Comments appreciated. Maybe someone will listen.

In person, i just have them do individual quizzes together at their tables. Ends up working a little like an IFAT scratcher. But I hadn’t considered that you could extend this into the Zoom breakout versions of the tables. Nice.

Guy

Sent from my iPhone

sberke
Community Member

I 100% agree that group quizzes are necessary. I very seldom use Quizzes as "quizzes" per se, but I often use them as assignments.

I really hope this will be opened up for voting again. I see that it was voted on 4 years ago, but at that time my institution didn't even use Canvas. And the way people use Canvas has changed a lot since the pandemic started.

olberdin
Community Novice

I would LOVE to see this functionality in Canvas. The ability to add a QUIZ a group assignment would be very useful. I've tried a bunch of work arounds that vary in their effectiveness and efficiency. Please CANVAS, make this so 🙂

porth
Community Member

Indeed, I cannot believe that group quizzes do not yet exist. Can we cast another vote, this is urgently needed for all the reasons given above (that also apply to me). 

Thanks!

kaw226
Community Member

Please can we have another vote on group quizzes!  I do a lot of group assignments in class that involve multiple questions (so assignments don't work well in the current remote environment).  It would be so nice for students to submit as a group as this would encourage the group work.  Something, as many people have mentioned here, that is very beneficial to student learning.  No that so many people are teaching online I think this would be able to get votes.

j_egan
Community Member

Was recently reminded that Canvas does not allow student groups to be used widely--including quizzes--and it is VERY frustrating. 

In particular when we create quiz objects for students entitled to extra time (for accessibility) it would less stigmatizing and more efficient if we could use the group function. Instead, in a course with 5 quizzes and 2 tests I need to manually manage at the individual user level access to each version of the assessment object. 

jackobanzi
Community Explorer

I'm determined to make this happen now that widespread remote learning is upon us.  Currently, I can assign work to a group of students using "Assign to a group".  If it's a document they're uploading, then one person can upload it on behalf of the group but everyone can see what's been uploaded.  I grade that one assignment, but all students can see the feedback and the grade is auto-populated into each group member's grades.  I would like this functionality in Quizzes, as well.  As a science teacher, I would love to be able to put labs into quizzes, where the compute can grade the trivial things for me, freeing me up to only need to grade the open-ended ones.  This seems like a really easy add - if it works in assignments, it should work in quizzes!  How do we get voting opened back up on this?

profbiomath
Community Explorer

This is the first semester that I am using Canvas (my institution switched to Canvas over the summer). I would very much appreciate the ability to have group quizzes. I assign daily group activities that are assessed as complete/incomplete, but I would like the ability for students to get automated feedback (which can be done through quizzes). For example, I want the group to calculate a derivative, find the value of the derivative at a particular point, and then to interpret the value in the context of the application. For each of these questions, a quiz would allow me to provide feedback for each question (including the correct answer), which they could immediately see after they submit the quiz even if I need to go in a "grade" some of the responses by hand. Though everyone would get a complete if they submit answers to every problem.

jackobanzi
Community Explorer

Everyone who has commented on this - Make sure you go to the top and click on the 5th star (i.e. give it a 5 star rating).  My understand is that this is how we get the Canvas development team's attention to work on this idea - when it reaches a certain number of votes, they realize it's a desireable change to work on. 

Then get, like, everyone you know to log in and rate it as a 5 star idea!  If it seems like your vote isn't "taking", click again.   That is literally the advice I was given by a Canvas Community Team Member.  She SWEARS it's open for voting, so we need to vote, vote, vote!