[Groups] Group Roster Export

This is an idea to modify group functionality so one can either export student group lists/rosters to a .csv spreadsheet format OR have groups listed in one of the spreadsheet columns when grades are exported (in the same fashion that Username and course section are included). In large enrollment classes, this is an absolutely essential feature. We use teams to set up tools external to the CMS and there currently is no easy way to access group data in the current Canvas configuration.

Added to Theme

86 Comments
DanBurgess
Community Participant

I am hoping you have a way to pull back a complete listing for all groups in a site.

I used Postman to make multiple calls; one per group.

James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

I don't think there's a way to pull all memberships from all groups in a course.  You can see a list of calls set up here:  Canvas Live API 

James

DanBurgess
Community Participant

Thanks James.

jjakubow
Community Novice

I need to export my roster to iClicker. The file being exported, however, is only reading the last few lines of students from the roster. I don't understand why this is happening.

stelpstra
Community Champion

This may be useful to you: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11862 

The macro-enabled Excel file attached to that document is able to download all the groups data from a single course to Excel.

drnorris
Community Novice

This was hugely helpful. I'd still like to see this be a native feature in Canvas, as this seems rather complicated. But it works like a charm once it is figure out.  It will be getting a lot of use!

RobDitto
Community Champion

Importing course groups via upload has been resubmitted as a feature idea currently open for voting:

ja46272
Community Novice

This would be very helpful.  I need group information for seating chart figures as well as to import into other software such as ForClass and to have an easily searchable record in order to look at group history to analyze student behavior.  Right now, the manual solution is very time consuming.

RobDitto
Community Champion
gmm193
Community Member

Super critical for group and project management within groups particularly with large classes. It would be great to have a print function too that might include photos, but even exporting a list would be helpful as that can be printed at a minimum.