[Groups] Group Roster Export

This is an idea to modify group functionality so one can either export student group lists/rosters to a .csv spreadsheet format OR have groups listed in one of the spreadsheet columns when grades are exported (in the same fashion that Username and course section are included). In large enrollment classes, this is an absolutely essential feature. We use teams to set up tools external to the CMS and there currently is no easy way to access group data in the current Canvas configuration.

Added to Theme

86 Comments
psimon3
Community Novice

It's insane that this isn't already in there. How hard can it be? 

dswanzy
Community Novice

Additionally....the student email address should export with the roster.  We upload rosters with email addresses into tools for peer review.  We have huge classes and I can't imagine having to add each name with their email individually.  This function is absolutely essential for improvement of work flow and time saving for faculty.

richardgc
Community Explorer

I agree with the feature of exporting (i.e., CSV) group rosters-sets should be considered. In a world where collaboration and team creativity is more prevalent than ever, teaching in groups is not a new concept. I am sure there are members in the Canvas community with 100+ students in their classes and when they give the option to sign up for a team I can only imagine the number of hours it must take to sort the teams out.

Finally, as mentioned in my post REALITY v. WANT v. IRONY - Group Set Export the irony is the Leaderboard CSV can be exported, but I can't export a group from my classroom?!

Thanks for the inclusion  @kona ‌!

Sincerely - Rich

dswanzy
Community Novice

Also...we need to be able to export e-mail addresses. I import these

instantly with a downloaded roster to our peer review website. I can't

IMAGINE typing the email addresses in one by one! Oh the errors I may

make! This feature is an absolute MUST!

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 8:58 AM richardgc@vt.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

richardgc
Community Explorer

Debra,

I look at features like you are mentioning like this "without students, there is no Canvas". Having the ability to manage students is essential as more and more institutions are adopting LMS'. 

BTW - can you PM about the "peer review website" you mentioned? I am looking for a good peer review rubric for college students to review presentations.

Thanks - Rich

sabsmith
Community Participant

I second Adam Bock's message. Without API access, there is no way to export groups. It's not even easy to screenshot them! Super frustrating! Please address this.

amysimon
Community Novice

Please please please- this is such a simple idea and very necessary for large courses. Or all courses! I have a project right now that I have to expand each group then physically type their names in an Excel spreadsheet. This makes no sense and is totally a waste of time. I have no idea why someone would vote against this? You hate a simple UI and efficiency? Sheesh.

pereira1
Community Novice

And... what happened to this? My university solved this by having a developer do it under our customized tools, but it seems like a waste of resources to have all schools fixing something that is obviously needed.

kjetil_monsen
Community Explorer

We use Zoom, if we could export group rosters-sets we could use the csv file to set up breakout rooms in Zoom. A function to set up Zoom breakout rooms from the Group-roster would be even better.

tpavlic
Community Participant

Agreed that this basic functionality should be in Canvas. In the meantime, I've been creating a dummy group assignment (that is not included in the grade calculation) that stores the group's numerical ID. Because it is a group assignment, I only have to populate it for one strudent and the rest of her group gets it too. I then export the gradebook and use this column to generate my breakout room assignments for Zoom.