[Groups] Group Roster Export

This is an idea to modify group functionality so one can either export student group lists/rosters to a .csv spreadsheet format OR have groups listed in one of the spreadsheet columns when grades are exported (in the same fashion that Username and course section are included). In large enrollment classes, this is an absolutely essential feature. We use teams to set up tools external to the CMS and there currently is no easy way to access group data in the current Canvas configuration.

Added to Theme

86 Comments
rmorgan2
Community Member

354542_i-will-wait.jpg

Photo of us waiting for something as simple as a group export feature in Canvas. 

colinmjustin
Community Member

It would be great if we could get a csv of students with associated groups / group sets so that the same groups used in Canvas could be imported and assigned to breakout rooms in Zoom and other conferencing software. This could be accomplished by adding students' assigned groups and emails as a field in the Grades export so they could easily be sorted and copied into the csv templates of other software.

To facilitate the process of going the other way (adding Zoom breakout rooms to Canvas as groups) it would make the groups tool better overall if there were a way to move multiple students in and out of groups easily by selecting multiple students.

TEBROOKS
Community Member

Please, please Canvas get this up and running. We need it now!!!

simon_rodan
Community Member

This feature would be a huge time-saver. As it is I have to enter group information in the other on-line tools I use by hand which in this day and age is ludicrous. 

JoeBattistelli
Community Explorer

This would be extremely useful for my lab classes that I have merged into one course. Right now with covid, only 1/3 of the lab can meet at a time. I can look up a group and see who's in it, but I can't look up a student and see which group they are in. This would be so useful!

atschrag
Community Explorer

Please, please Canvas! We need to be able to download groups to a spreadsheet!!! This needs to happen now. It can't be hard. Seems like it should be a basic feature.

freeman1
Community Participant

Ridiculous that this very basic and essential feature is still not implemented.

jbrown
Community Participant

Now more than ever, we need to be able to export the roster by groups. Faculty are wanting to form groups in Canvas and utilize those same groups in Zoom breakout sessions. We have "single sign on" for Zoom so we can upload a CSV of students to a Zoom meeting and use that to "pre-assign" breakout rooms--rather than having to slowly set that up during class while everyone waits. PLEASE make it easy for us!

I found this hack which is great, but it definitely isn't pretty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqy_Cj1mZ4

adamsden
Community Member

Four years of begging for a function so basic that we can hardly believe it was omitted in the first place and... crickets. Disappointing.

jayne_jonas-bra
Community Member

Yes, this...please!