[Groups] Group Roster Export

This is an idea to modify group functionality so one can either export student group lists/rosters to a .csv spreadsheet format OR have groups listed in one of the spreadsheet columns when grades are exported (in the same fashion that Username and course section are included). In large enrollment classes, this is an absolutely essential feature. We use teams to set up tools external to the CMS and there currently is no easy way to access group data in the current Canvas configuration.

Added to Theme

86 Comments
enrique_guerra-
Community Novice

This feature is an absolute must for the new RA modality of my old business law lecture capture course!

frankel
Community Champion

Although cumbersome, if you use Chrome, you can open up all the groups with their dropdown menus and then use Chrome's Find feature to find a student. Here's a screencast: 2018-01-18_0953 

frankel
Community Champion

I agree that this process is needed, especially for large classes.  In my online class, I have 8 groups, two assigned to each TA and two to me.  As Speedgrader does not provide a way to see group members, having a list would help speed up grading.  Although it's possible to keep the Group window open, unless one has a large monitor (or multiple monitors), that can be cumbersome.

cdf

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

This is an issue that we are now encountering. Especially in our large (500-1000+ people) classes. There is no easy way for a teacher or TA to get a list of all the groups and their members. 

kona
Community Champion

For those of you who are wanting something that can do this right now, check out the following - Automated report of group sets, groups and members in a course - by  @stelpstra .

gasstationwitho
Community Explorer

Separate export is better than adding to the gradebook, as my class has students in 5 different groups (a different pairing for each assignment).  Because the grouping functionality of Canvas is so limited, I want to be able to upload and download pairings from external programs that allow obvious additional functions (like not allowing students to duplicate a pairing in different assignments).

rmorgan2
Community Member

Definitely need this feature!  I teach a one semester class with 30 groups of 3 students every 2 weeks!  It would be great to simply download and share a list (without having to screen-cap my computer screen).  

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

astoffer
Community Novice

I administer peer evaluations for multiple courses and sections, and right now, I have to have an IT professional in a separate department pull course rosters for me because there's no way to export a roster from Canvas that also includes groups. This is so inefficient and frustrating.

j_hill
Community Explorer

Urgently required -- especially where institutions have disabled the generation of API tokens which rules out  @stelpstra 's spreadsheet approach.