Group projects in Canvas - Pairing students

0 Likes

Dear UW IT department- I wrote this comment to my instructor also in Mid Term Survey:

For Group project could Pairing  be done with a better communication Tool ?  

I felt nobody heard my announcement  in Group page while i was supposed to pair with one or teo of the group, wholw group consisted of about 9 plus people..,

and I could Not tell  if each group members were reading ( viewing) that Group page while pairing process announced first time.

Finally, after 3 weeks ,  I had to contact instructor to get help with pairing, instead of pairing directly with one of my classmates.

I think this happens because there is Not better visibility in Canvas group area - I would have paired with one of the member without making that two times announcement  still Not getting response.

I am wondering if IT of UW could come up better communication tool for Canvas  group projects l that could be used for Pairing students randomly  OR with Students choosing  in group projects.

Thank you

Atanursev K. Bayrak

Tags (1)
1 Comment
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @AtanursevBayrak 

You have shared this idea conversation in the Instructure Community, rather than the University of Washington IT department.

The functionality to allow students to select their own groups already exists in Canvas. Instructors can select this option in the group settings in their course: How do I allow students to create their own student groups?

You can reach out to your instructor about allowing this in their course.