[New Quizzes] Grouped Formula Questions - Shared Set of Defined Variables

The formula based questions are an essential tool for math based courses, but there is a big limiting factor. Formula questions work on a set of defined variables input by the teacher. I would like to be able to ask multiple, related formula-based questions with a shared set of defined variables. 

Ex:

A ball of mass 'm' kg is on Earth, what is its mass?

The ball of mass 'm' kg is on Moon, what is its mass?

The ball of mass 'm' kg is floating in space, what is its mass?

A ball of mass 'm' kg is on Earth, what is its weight?

The ball of mass 'm' kg is on Moon, what is its weight?

The ball of mass 'm' kg is floating in space, what is its weight?

I would like to be able to ask these six questions about the SAME ball of mass 'm' and use the formula to generate multiple iterations. As is, to do this using formula questions, the questions need to be input as 6 separate formula-based questions. The result is that the ball will have a different mass for all six questions and it makes follow up questions more challenging. 

I have thought of three possible solutions to solve this depending on what is technically possible:

1. A formula question group
    • Under the question group feature, define a set of variables that applies to all the questions in the group.
  2. Multiple formula questions
    • Under a single formula question, once the variables are defined, allow the input of multiple formulas for different questions
  3. The new stimulus-response feature in new quizzes
    • Allow the stimulus column to be input with a formula-based question, and then carry the defined variables over into the response questions

This feature would be a HUGE help for our math/science teachers and students! 

27 Comments
christina_jensc
Community Novice

I support this idea!

roy_tambunga
Community Novice

Great Idea!

john_ratko
Community Member

@Stefanie 

@Renee_Carney 
This idea seems to have a lot of support! How long does the development process typically take? I understand that this varies case by case, but is it usually a matter of weeks, months, or years?

clarson1
Community Explorer

Please make this happen ASAP.

clarson1
Community Explorer
mathieu
Community Participant

Perhaps this has already been suggested, but I was unable to find it using the tags or search terms I thought would apply.

There is a concept known as the “force multiplier” in military theory.  I think this is a useful metaphor when thinking about how questions are used in quizzes.  The utility of any given question could be greatly increased if it could be combined with other question types, so that one could ensure question A is followed by question B, even within a randomisation scenario.

I realise one can already just create a static question layout followed by another question, but this results in a quiz that is non-dynamic and once-off.  I prefer to author quizzes in such a way that I can use it multiple times, categorising my questions and then populating the quiz with randomised questions.  This approach has the benefit of mitigating cheating and ensuring students engage the concept rather than the correct answer in multiple attempt scenarios. However, using this approach I cannot guarantee that two related questions appear together.

If we were able to create a combined question type, similar to what you find in Moodle, then we could effectively link questions together, creating a somewhat contextually aware randomisation strategy.  I was hoping the stimulus question could be used in this way, but it seems not.  Perhaps stimulus questions could be extended so that they allow question linking as outlined above?

I’d love to hear thoughts from the community on this.

mathieu
Community Participant

I just found this idea that might be related.

RichardPotter
Community Member

As an instructor in a University engineering department I would like the ability to have several 'linked' Formula questions within a single quiz.... The idea would be that each student would get a randomly allocated set of parameters that they would then have to use to answer a number of question. In this way, it would be possible to start with an 'entry level' question and have further questions that are more complex.  

petern
Community Contributor

Great idea.  It's been suggested before - I like suggestion 3 where the variables could be generated with the stimulus.  The formula questions could then use those variables.  

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Attach-multiple-quiz-questions-to-one-quot-for...

mramir11
Community Explorer

I agree with this great idea too!