Groups need better functionality

0 Likes
(2)

I have a class of 400 students and need to be able to assign different quizzes to select students. I also need to assign the same quiz but with a different due date to different groups of students. The fact that I have to search through, and individually assign each quiz to each student is burdensome to say the least. 

Being able to create a group and then assign a discussion, quiz or assignment, that is NOT a group project, to them would change my workflow immensely!

Thank you,

Ruth Adams
University of Kentucky

Tags (1)
9 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

@RuthAdams 

This is already a functionality of Canvas.  You can find directions in How do I assign an assignment to a course group? - Canvas Community  You can leverage groups or course sections.

Here are the directions for sections - How do I assign an assignment to a course section? - Canvas Community 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

RuthAdams
Community Member

Renee, 

Thank you for your reply. I did not explain myself well. I do not want to create a group assignment. I want to create a group that I can then assign a Quiz to. This is not possible. 

The only way to assign a quiz to a subset of students is to create a due date and assign each student individually to that date. With over 250 students, and with each quiz having at least 3 different due dates, that is a lot of work for each quiz.

Best,

Ruth

isomtd
Community Member

I agree! Groups need better functionality. I have an issue with students that are spread throughout my classes with IEP's. I tried to create groups for them and then assigning a particular later due date for that group but this is not available. I like using the groups feature, it is super helpful when viewing grades in the grade portion of Canvas. 

RobDitto
Community Champion

@RuthAdams and @isomtd, I just read your comments and wanted to suggest a conversation in the Idea Exchange about a hoped-for Canvas feature which, if built, might address the needs you articulated:

If that sounds like it would help, consider adding star ratings or comments on the idea. Thanks!

kay_shenoy
Community Participant

I agree! I need to be able to assign different quizzes to different subsets of students. 

AnderLor
Community Member

@RobDitto That thread seems to only be talking about assignments and not quizzes. Although, the idea to assign to individuals in a group seems to be the same as this idea here. That thread does seem to have pages and pages of comments though, so I could be wrong.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Good point, @AnderLor.  Here's one other long-running idea conversation worth a look:

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived