H5P Interactive Content Integration

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This is an awesome FREE online quiz and interactive content generator that includes over 30+ different content types.

I have blogged about it here and included several worked examples: H5P - Free Interactive Content Creation with HTML5 

H5P already intgrates with Moodle and plans for LTI integration is on their road map:

238540_pastedImage_2.png

They just need a little helping hand..

Comments from Instructure

We are happy to announce that Joubel has partnered with Instructure and development work has been completed. Beta testing of the H5P integration is wrapping up. Contact them through their website for more information. Joubel | Creating a richer web experience 

32 Comments
thayerm
Community Novice

I only just found out about H5P today and it does look interesting. I was also looking at soft chalk which costs money, so i like that H5P is free. I would like to know more about people's experience with it. Upsides and downsides. Also, I just wish Canvas would include activities like these as part of their actual product. It seems like for anything innovative you have to go to a third party. 

Also, curious, how is support for this product? Has anyone used H5P run into an issue? I am interested in it.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Will have a look at SoftChalk - thanks. As for H5P, am sure you spotted the  H5P - Free Interactive Content Creation with HTML5 which takes you to a post with lots of examples. Would also recommend some sites on Web 2.0 tools post here - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12/blog/2016/11/05/web-20-tools 

I had a look at Book Widgets the other day as it appeared on a Canvas twitter post. Has some amazing features but not free. I posted this reply which kind of backs up what you said earlier - This is a fabulous tool and full of extra features not in CanvasLMS Am afraid that it is out of our budget especially for whole school adoption.. Would be good if CanvasLMS offered some partnership discounts 🐵

thayerm
Community Novice

Yes. I edited my post to be more clear. Softchalk costs money. Though they do have a repository of pre-built content which I believe is free. The soft chalk content creation software costs money.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Thanks, I'll delete the post... Am always on the look out for FREE resources - especially those that will embed on a Canvas page. Latest find is www.sugarcane.com which is like Quizlet supercharged! Cannot yet embed in a Canvas page but hugely effective...

kylecage
Community Novice

Softchalk is kind of old and clunky. The UI looks like something from the early 2000s. The activities don't look that great in terms of quality. 

H5P is all HTML5 and it looks nice! So, from a visual perspective, H5P is way better. 

dnelson1
Instructure
Instructure

We are happy to announce that Joubel has partnered with Instructure and development work has been completed. Beta testing of the H5P integration is wrapping up. Contact them through their website for more information. Joubel | Creating a richer web experience 

hyim
Community Explorer

This is great news!!! Are we talking about h5p.org, h5p.com, or both (  )?

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

But very unlikely to be a free feature.......!

rudeb
Community Novice

For anyone wondering, this is both a paid integration (LTI) and a free service. You can use h5p.org for free and you can embed your projects into your Canvas pages the same way you would embed a video. (Button shown below)298550_pastedImage_1.png

The other option is to pay for h5p.com LTI integration. I have posted the differences below as a screenshot taken directly from the installation instructions. From the image, you are paying for gradebook integration and you can choose what is and is not shared (everything on .org is shared publicly).

298551_pastedImage_2.png

You can do a 30-day trial to get everything integrated into Canvas but after that, you must pay. I looked around and did not see any general pricing ranges on Google, so you would have to get a hold of the company for that. I hope this helps someone.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Hi Bill, if you drop me a DM I can give you an idea on pricing. We have purchased the H5P.com integration having used H5P.org for a few years