HTML Editor for Global Announcements

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I am resurrecting my Feature Idea I originally submitted in early April 2015 with some slight modifications and additions.  The original idea was posted here: HTML Editor for Global Announcements Posted to the Dashboard.

From time to time, we use the Administrative Pages of Canvas to create global announcements (via Settings >> Announcements tab) that get posted to the Dashboard.  Our announcements could include things like links to Canvas Guides, other websites, and/or videos (ex: YouTube, Vimeo, etc.).  It would be nice if we had access to edit HTML in these announcements.  However, after chatting with Canvas technical support (Ticket #1455096), one of the main reasons for not having the HTML editor is:

It looks like the HTML mode is intentionally missing from the Global Announcements tab due to administrators using them in such a way that it causes problems in their settings tabs of their accounts. The guides in fact show the Global Announcements without HTML editor mode.

Jesse Poulos -- Canvas Tech Support

Use case: Paste in embed code from various website to display content for our faculty in an announcement on the Dashboard.

Slight addition: Based on the feedback from Jesse Poulos, what if the ability to create Global Announcements was moved to its own button on the left side admin navigation rather than a tab within the admin Settings screen?  Would that fix the issue and allow for HTML to be editable?

17 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bbennett2 ...

How is embedded media being stripped out of your global announcements?  I can embed videos from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. into global announcements if I click my cursor in the RCE and then press Alt+F9 to bring up a hidden menu.  Then I choose "Insert" >> "Media" where I can then paste in embed code (using the "Embed" tab) I've harvested from other video platforms.

bbennett2
Community Champion

Well, I just tried again and it worked, so I'm not sure what happened.

Either way, HTML would be nice  

josephclaytonha
Community Member

That way works, but it's a little complicated for teachers or users that many not understand how that works. Having options similar to Wordpress, for example, where you can just click a button that says "Embed YouTube Video" would be a very easy and quick option for users. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed