HTML5 Support in Mobile App

HTML5 Content developed in programs such as Captivate and Storyline provides interactivity and engagement for learners. Whether this be exported as SCORM or embedded as html5 content, it needs to be supported so that it can easily load and play from the Canvas Mobile App. 

7 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion

Hi Hattie Abretti‌,

I'm happy you created this idea. My only issue is the root of the problem doesn't necessarily center around SCORM, but the fact that the apps don't support HTML5 formats created from Captivate, Storyline, and other programs. Since HTML5 is a universal standard that works great on mobile browsers, it would be nice to see it work in the app as well. I'm confident that if HTML5 was usable in the app that the SCORM aspects would be supported. I suggest you adjust this idea to focus more on HTML5 and less on SCORM. You will probably get more votes. 

cesbrandt
Community Champion

I would love to see SCORM work in the mobile apps, also, but I have to agree the the underlying HTML5 support issue it likely the primary cause for the lack of SCORM support.

Whether you modify the idea to cater to the underlying HTML5 issue or leave it as is, you have my vote. I, personally, feel like SCORM has been greatly neglected in the development of Canvas. It's nice that Instructure finally added support for it to be copied with a shell, making it feasible for institutions that relying on "Master" shells, but there's still many things that still need to be addressed:

hattie_abretti
Community Novice

Thanks  @rseilham ‌ and cesbrandt‌, I agree with you that it is the HTML5 support that is the real issue and I will amend the idea to reflect this!

don_bryn
Community Champion

This is not directly an answer to your question, but is closely related.   I recently wrote a blog post asking Devil's Advocate: Why do we need mobile apps?  The proposal is simply that I think we should focus on the web version of Canvas and making it usable on all devices.  This will still present problems if you use an external app that doesn't support HTML5, but because we have such widely accepted standards in HTML5, this would be the logical approach, putting pressure on app developers to simply support HTML5.  

All my own opinion, of course!

a1078466
Community Member

I'd like to see better integration here too. Ideally, the HTML5 content in mobile should replicate the desktop experience, but I'd settle for a custom placeholder link (i.e. thumbnail) instead of the generic text currently used for everything.

H5P elements show as an external tool link in the mobile app, as do videos hosted in Studio/Arc (when embedded via LTI). Articulate 360 actually behaves better than either of these when served separately as an iframe, although lack of responsiveness is a problem.

kerstin_jarosc1
Community Participant

Support for both HTML5 and SCORM would be awesome! It is a shame that we promise our students e-learning courses, yet the content isn't even working on the app... html5 should work Smiley Sad

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.