[To Do] Have Observer Calendar/To Do Match Student's

Parents in a K-12 environment (Observers) want their calendars and time management tools to match their students' calendar and other time management tools, such as the To Do and Coming Up blocks.

In order to better track what students have completed and still have to do, we propose these changes to the Observer's time management tools:

• Items on the Observer calendar "cross off" when the student they are observing submits the lesson
  • The checkmark beside a lesson turn green in the To Do/Coming Up blocks upon student submission

Added to Theme

Improve Observer Experience Theme Status: Identified

48 Comments
Parent3
Community Novice

Please, please, please fix this issue.  It is crazy that we can't monitor to see if our students turned in their assignments, that is one of the main purposes of being an observer.  It looks like observers have been requesting this for 5 years, with COVID and the increase of use of Canvas this is needed more than ever now.  Please provide this feature in calendar and also the list view from the dashboard.

dtow
Community Member

agreed, need to be able to see what assignments have been completed on the observer calendar. Everyday, I have to click though each tile to see if there is something new or figure out if it has been completed. 

rtoczek
Community Member

I agree that this is necessary. How do I vote?

atripamer
Community Member

We are looking for a solution for a parent/observer to see completed assignments (strikethrough) in the Calendar.

MikeHarrity
Community Member

It would be extremely helpful as a Parent ot see assignments that have been submitted by your child. This seems like a change that should be fast tracked.  

thanks

jherron1
Community Explorer

Would this also allow teachers to use the Appointment Group option to schedule parent/teacher conferences?

phenomenalwoman
Community Member

I agree with ALL of the other parents who have chimed in to request that the strikeout feature be added to the observer calendar.  With three students in three different schools and 21 classes in all, this would be incredibly helpful.  Currently, I am not using my observer calendar, but rather viewing each of my student's calendars to determine that they have submitted all the assignments.  This is a drag for them, but also inconvenient for me.  

Please, Please, PLEASE make this change.

Jmart24
Community Novice

Yes! Please add this feature - it would be extremely helpful!

JKW
Community Member

I have to agree that this is now an essential feature for my elementary schooler, especially. We are still learning to navigate the system and within these first two weeks of school she has missed finding many assignments. Other’s she has submitted, but we are just finding out now that there was a technical glitch of some sort and the teacher didn’t not receive them. We are trying to figure it out, but I can only do it from her account and she is usually using it for school work. It is creating an incredible amount of stress (and tears) not being able to confirm the assignments made it to where they needed to go. I appreciate you giving parents/observers a chance to give feed back and I urge you to develop this as soon as possible! Thank you!

valsamik
Community Member
Can the parent calendar be configured to show strikethrough when the item is completed or submitted like a student calendar displays?