Have a Tick Box for Selecting Class Sections

0 Likes
(4)

As a head of chem, I have access to all the classes but I only teach 2 of these classes. Currently, Canvas does not have a way to just filter to my 2 teaching classes (disregarding the rest) and I am forced to manually switch from my 1st class to my 2nd class every time I have to do an assessment. 

Hence, the suggestion is to have a tick box as a filtering option, so that only selected sections are displayed for you to mark completely. Rather than just having the options of all sections or specific sections only, this should also be an available option for conveniency.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@StanleyYu 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. Instructors can apply filters in the Gradebook as detailed in the View Sections section of How do I filter columns and rows in the Gradebook? That filter allows the instructor to toggle between sections. The section filter, when applied, persists in Speedgrader. Speedgrader also allows instructors to select a specific section in the Students dropdown, in the View Sections section of How do I use the student list to view student subm... —and as the documentation explains, the design is intentional so as to improve performance and decrease loading times.

Is that the functionality you're seeking?

StanleyYu
Community Member

Hey there. 

I'm aware of that function and that works for my other year level as I am not a head of subject. But because I am head of subject, I see 10+ sections of chem classes and I only want my 2 sections to appear in one go.

The current filtering options does not have a way to specifically choose only these 2 sections that I teach. I am forced to toggle from one class to another, whch is troublesome.

I hope that's clear?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@StanleyYu 

Thanks for the clarification and the use case example. We'll move this idea forward for further discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

Although I dont have the issue I agree with @StanleyYu that would be a nice feature.  I could use that for my class with multiple lab sections for the TA's to select all their sections at once if they wanted.

StanleyYu
Community Member

Hi. 

Is there an update to this feature? 

Dealing with 16 classes at the moment but I only teach two of them. So I'd like a feature wheren I only want 2 of my classes displayed while th rest are not. It's a sorting feature (e.g. a tickbox) that MS Excel can do so I don't see how this feature is not available. It's time-consuming (and annoying) to swap from one class to another all the time, rather than having just my two classes displayed as is. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.