[Peer Review} Have two due dates for peer review assignments

For assignments that are setup for peer review, it would be useful to have two different due dates:
  • One for the students initial submission that will be reviewed by their peers
  • A second one for completing assigned peer reviews

In the current implementation, there is only one due date, which appears to be the due date for a students initial submission.  I infer this from the fact that it is the default date for assigning peer reviews to students.  From what my students have told them, once peer reviews are assigned they show up on their to-do list, but are already late since the due date is the only date for the assignment.

I think a clearer implementation would be to have an additional due date for the peer reviews, so that they don't appear to be late as soon as they are assigned.

Added to Theme

79 Comments
ashleya2
Community Participant

Agreed! I wonder if there's a way that the Canvas Community can merge the votes/ideas from this idea and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8154-add-due-date-for-completing-peer-review ? I think they're functionally the same....

jwr0015
Community Explorer

Please consider what peer review is used for. The author of a submission needs feedback. They also need time to integrate feedback into their revision drafts. If there is no feedback to work with the author suffers. The lack of a due date on peer review activities excludes the activity from the mental workflow scheduling. With no trigger to begin or end the activity of peer review, the Panic Monster does not awaken to drive away the Instant Gratification Monkey and let the Rational Decision Maker take over! (Tim Urban: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator | TED Talk )

A due date for (and possibly a participation point ) for peer review could drastically improve the odds of every writer getting some feedback . . . and improve the chances of receiving it in time to make proper use of it. Placing an end date in the same area that the peer review assignment time/day control already exists would be a boon to writers in Canvas courses.

elc55
Community Member

Yes, this is a necessary function for all of us writing instructors.  Please fix the peer review functionality as now it is virtually useless.

mark_kerfoot
Community Participant

We need to be able to set due dates for peer reviews so students get timely feedback! Come on Canvas folks, this is Covid-19 and everyone is teaching online. Peer reviews are a way to get students interacting so they don't feel isolated. It takes an extra hour of grading time to manually check whether students submitted peer reviews on time to meet my communicated deadline. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!

rjm95
Community Member

Fix this ASAP!!

tom_stearns
Community Explorer

Yes please, we need this. I am trying the Peer Review feature for the first time this quarter and finding it is not useful because of the lack of a built-in due date and the inability to use CrocDocs for feedback.

tweidner
Community Member

Is there an updated status on this with a second Peer Review submission deadline. We are having alot of student abuse this system and any help on this would be appreciated. 

mark_kerfoot
Community Participant

I spend way too much time in back and forth conversations with students every semester about the due dates for peer reviews. Students are confused when an assignment due date isn't listed in Canvas. Instructure, you can immediately solve this issue by allowing multiple due dates!

HosseinDaneshva
Community Novice

It is necessary to have both dates for sure. It is very misleading and difficult to follow, the way it is setup right now. I would appreciate a revision. 

tom_stearns
Community Explorer

Bump bump bump--please do something about peer review, Canvas. It is useless right now.