[Rubrics] Hidden Rubrics

Teachers need a toggle to hide rubrics till the teacher release it, a date, or when all students have submitted. I want to be to make an assignment where students complete it one day, and then the next day they are automatically assigned peer reviews and grade each other using the rubric.  Showing the rubric before hand is stupid and is odd that there is no option.  I do not want to have to go in every day and add a rubric.  I want to set it for each unit and just have to come in and check stats and add comments to responses.  

47 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this conversation. Many of the comments are seeking to repurpose rubrics as a grading key. Since that's not the intended use of a rubric, one of our members has kindly created a new idea specific to the problem statement many in this thread have described:  Grading key for assignments

DrewHarris2
Community Novice

It would be nice to be able to toggle whether or not students can see the rubric being used for grading, or else have it set to only show to students after the assignment due date has passed. For example, if there's a rubric detailing specific answers that are "more wrong" than others, I want to be able to grade off that without giving the correct answers away before the due date has passed.

SuzannaMoran
Community Novice

Some assignments are for teaching. Allowing students to see the rubric for those while they work is fine and great and has educational value.

But some assignments are for assessment only.  Canvas clearly knows this as it allows us to create tests and quizzes.  I am a law professor and I have a couple of in-class online tests. They are simple tests that my teaching assistants grade while I am commenting on more complex assignments.  I want my TAs to be able to grade these tests quickly and easily, and because I reuse the questions from year to year, I do not want any paper copies of anything returned to the students.  And I don't want to have to rebuild the rubric every year.  That's so inefficient; particularly in instances where the rubric is more complex.

Please add the option to show the rubric when the teacher wants it shown.  Allow the teacher to make the decision about whether the rubric should be used for teaching or assessment.

pwiltshireuts
Community Member

I work in a university setting. We sometimes use rubrics rubrics as a tool to expedite marking, for example of exams for which feedback is not released. These rubrics may include specific details which would be advantageous to students writing up their submissions.  

Currently such a rubric would not be attached until all submissions are received and ready for marking but there are often extended submission times and individual arrangements that complicate the issue.

It would be great to have the option to keep a rubric hidden, either tied to release of marks or to be restricted along with the rest of an assignment's contents while locked.

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

I think what we really need is for the Canvas developers to create a separate Answer Key option.

The purpose of Rubrics is two-fold: to give students guidance before they submit their Assignments and as way for instructors to assess the Assignments and provide feedback.

The purpose of Answer Keys would be to provide instructors an easy way to assess the students' work and provide the correct answers after the Assignment has been completed. Unlike the Rubrics, the Answer Keys should remain hidden until the instructor is ready to release the grades.

cejones
Community Explorer

Canvas already has something that could work:  It just has to hide the rubric and comments whenever the instructor has hidden the scores in the gradebook.

Instead, it is insane that Canvas wrote the Speedgrader software to give students instant updates every single time I type in a comment.  I did not even know that Canvas would write software so stupid until I was grading an essay during a final, and one of my students was getting notices.  Canvas should let the instructors know when they are doing something so incredibly stupid and unintuitive for some theoretical reason we'd never guess:  After all, when we grade things on paper, students are NOT looking over our shoulders to see every mark we make.

Instead, Canvas let me bombard my students all semester long with an avalanche of stupid notices.  Because what they really need is more email garbage.  I really can't believe someone at Canvas thought this was a good idea.  Canvas is toxic.

SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

@cejones Try "hiding" the grades until you are ready to post them. You can "hide" the grades both in Speedgrader and when you're in the Gradebook. Look for the crossed out eyeball to show that the grades are "hidden." Then you can "post" them when you are ready to release them to the class.

If you are using a rubric to grade, note that you will have to do two things;  "hide" the grades and change the posting policy to "manual" (in the Gradebook).

You can see what your students experience by playing around with your Test Student and the Student View.

cejones
Community Explorer

@SusanNiemeyer Thanks for your suggestions!  I did have them hidden, but not with the manual set.  (I confess to not understanding why "hidden" when set on automatic is only hidden when there is no grade posted, and why "manual" is hidden in a second menu.  I guess manual hidden is actually hidden.)

It can be hard to learn from Student View.  In this case, if I started a test assignment with the automatic hidden, and then did the manual hidden, I'd learn nothing since when we was first revealed, setting it to manual doesn't undo that, as far as I can tell.

But I think grading a new student's assignment with 'manual' set might work.

I still fail to understand why Canvas can't allow us to control or even know when it is sending notifications to students.  Everything I do in Canvas I have to assume that students are getting notifications of every click I make.  Who knows how many they got when I put the assignment from automatic hidden to manual hidden and back and back again??

LeslieR
Community Member

Yes, please let us hide rubrics. I just realized that locked assignments show the rubric. Now I have a bunch of students who haven't even met yet and are probably frantically trying to figure out the assignment from the rubric without any of the instructions. What they don't know is that it's ungraded and for assessment purposes only.

ErikStroner
Community Member

Is the ability to "hide" the rubric from student view still a possibility? I teach speech and students see their score before it is finalized as I have to check an outline and a works cited page after I score their presentation. This obviously can cause issues with providing student with partial information.