Hide Assignment Group Totals from Students

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Instructors would like the ability to hide the automatically-created assignment group totals from students.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09) 

Grades

Hide Assignment Group Totals with Final Grade

38 Comments
cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey folks, We are developing the ability to hide assignment groups totals from students in a gradebook that will be in beta behind a feature flag this school year. We're going to be adding features like this to that gradebook all year and would love to hear your feedback on them. I'm going to archive this feature until we have it in beta behind the feature flag... just so this feature request doesn't live in limbo forever. Stay tuned!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Deactivated user ~ As we import copies of prior courses, teachers in my building wish that they could hide entire assignment group from student-view until there is an active assignment in that particular assignment group. (This way students only worry about the group of grades that they actually have assignments in...we don't want them getting ahead of themselves!) I know that Canvas Commons will help with this workflow in the future, but we have not yet rolled that out to teachers.

Yaz
Instructure
Instructure

Will this development extend to rubrics too? We may wish to create a rubric made of outcomes (e.g. graduate attributes or programme outcomes) where they could just be for competency i.e. no need to have scores display at the end of rows of rubrics or to calculate the total rubric score and to have the option to hide that too from students or altogether? Many thanks Deactivated user!

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

FYI: More feedback related to this idea over here: (by  @jeffrey_weimer ​)

jeffrey_weimer
Community Contributor

Thank you for referencing my request in this thread. I support the idea proposed in this thread as an appropriate solution to the problem I posed in mine.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now Under Consideration.  Find out more about the idea stages at What is the feature development process for Canvas?

mbader1
Community Novice

Hopefully Canvas will move toward this. In Blackboard, instructors were free to set whatever grading categories they wished. I have had more complaints about the Canvas grade book from students than I ever did with Blackboard. I get questions like "The grade book says my average is 115% but I have an F in the course. Why?" I have to continually explain I do not use certain features in the grade book. Can't wait for better options and more control over what my students see.

gvachon
Community Novice

I really like the fact that students can see their assignment results in Canvas. However, many students are just skipping straight to the "bottom line" and then arguing/questioning grades in ways that are not productive. We can hide the overall grade, but it doesn't take more than a minute to do the math if the group grades are visible. Please add the ability to hide group averages as soon as possible. It's a major impediment to our implementation of Canvas.

arovner
Community Contributor

Hi,

I'm so happy that you folks are working on improving the grade book features but did I miss a recent update?   I just had a faculty member contact me b/c her students can no longer see their "assignment group" grade totals in their grade book view.  She has always hidden the "total" grade b/c she teaches ESL and the total % isn't always relevant to whether or not a student passes that ESL level.  Anyway, this week her students only see dashes in those Assignment group total areas.  I suggested we check out her settings and, sure enough, when she unchecked the "hide grade totals in students grades summary", all the %'s reappeared.  This is a change in behavior and she's disappointed that she can't keep the Assignment group totals visible while hiding the overall group total.  She will go ahead and leave all visible and will try to explain that students should ignore the total but you know how that goes even with classes full of native English speakers.  This will much more challenging to get across to lower level ESL course students.

Anyway - perhaps this is coming but I thought I'd add her ESL class perspective to the conversation.

Thanks!

Amy

buellj
Community Contributor

Hi All,

Has there been any changes in functionality around this? We are now seeing the Assignments row hidden from student perspective when the instructor clicks the Hide totals in student grades summary and Hide grade distribution graphs from students checkboxes.