Hide Assignment Group Totals from Students

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Instructors would like the ability to hide the automatically-created assignment group totals from students.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09) 

Grades

Hide Assignment Group Totals with Final Grade

38 Comments
cgiraud
Community Novice

Gene Vachon provides insight about why hiding category averages can be desirable. Would be great if the two things (overall average and category averages) could be selected separately for those users who want to be able to see categories but not overall averages.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-12-28)

Grades

Hide Assignment Group Totals with Final Grade

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @nicole_stahl   for submitting this idea, as well as, snugent, Deactivated user,  @kona ,  @ljdewitt , cgiraud,  @KristinL ,  @jeffrey_weimer , Yaz, mbader, gvachon,  @arovner , and  @buellj  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

brian_weston
Community Novice

We are transitioning to Canvas and this is a feature that quite a few instructors are asking for. I see that this has been deployed to Canvas, but I don't see the option to disable the assignment groups in the gradebook. Did I miss something? I checked our beta site and options to no avail.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Welcome Brian!!!  We're excited to have you (and your instructors) in our Community!

You can find the description of the deployed feature at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5606#jive_content_id_Grades​.  This feature was developed to hide the assignment group totals from students.  The totals will still appear for instructors in the gradebook.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@brian_weston , I second Renee -  Welcome to the Community! If you are from a K-12 institution, and would like to collaborate, let me know. Canvas is a wonderful tool; I hope the transition goes smoothly!! Smiley Happy

brian_weston
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

Thank you for the link. This helps quite a bit. I was looking to only disable the assignment group columns and keep the total grade for the students, but I'll pass this information along to the instructors as an option.

brian_weston
Community Novice

Such a warm welcome. It is great to be part of the community. We are a community college that will launch Canvas across campus in the summer. Getting our toes a bit wet before everyone hops on board.

soxford
Community Contributor

Hi Renee, I am looking for a way to hide the assignment group total but not the Final grade.  Is there a way to do this?