Hide Assignment group grades

0 Likes
(6)

I have 3 assignments making up a group that has a 20% weight. Even if I hide all the the individual assignments, the group grade still shows. This effectively eliminates the ability to hide grades. How can this be?

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@kobelsky 

We've moved this idea forward for further discussion. Currently, instructors can hide grade totals and assignment group totals from students by enabling "Hide totals in student grade summaries" in the settings area of the course, but they cannot hide only one of the two. If you are comfortable hiding both, or consider this a viable interim solution, instructions are in How do I hide totals in my students' grade summari...  

If you've hidden the grades for the three assignments using post policies, yet the assignment group total is reflecting the grades that are not yet released to students, please ask Canvas Support to have a look at the course. General instructions for submitting a ticket are in How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? but your school may have customized their support options, in which case plese use the pathway to support provided by the school.

Thanks.

kobelsky
Community Member

I have hidden all 3 grades but Assignment group grade still shows. I  called Support, and they were the ones who recommended I post here.

Hiding grades for all groups is not acceptable because students want to know how they are doing in the course based on previous assignments. This is ivery mportant to remote students.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for following up with support, @kobelsky . We appreciate it.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

...and if you have the support case number handy, @kobelsky , please post it here.

kobelsky
Community Member

I called in with case 07455542

ID_2020
Community Explorer

The letter grade in the total column associated with the assignments category is not always an accurate reflection of the students actual grade and causes much confusion. Is there a better way to show category completion or possibly give the instructors a choice to show, or not to show, the percentage complete in the assignment categories?

ID_2020
Community Explorer

I agree! Hiding grades is not acceptable at all. The assignment group does not need to require a percentage per group in the grade book. It is not an accurate representation of the student grade. The required evaluation of this assignment group percentages being posted in the gradebook really needs to be optional. 

swagners
Community Member

There needs to be a way to hide assignment groups from the gradebook.  We have teachers that will import assignments from last year and store them in a "past assignments" category.  The problem is that that category shows up in the gradebook even though it is set to count for 0% of the grade. 

jeichler
Community Novice

It would be great if the Canvas gradebook could be edited to give instructors the option of hiding the % grade/points column. For instructors who use a points based grading system, only the total points column is needed, and having the % column present in addition to the total points column only creates confusion for the students. 

Many thanks,

Jack Eichler

StephanieArrigo
Community Novice

The assignment column is, for me, annoying, and, for the students, confusing.  It is a different total from the final column and stresses out students.  Any extra credit is counted in that column as an assignment, lowering the percentage if the student doesn't choose extra credit.  At best, it is redundant.  If you don't want to remove it, please make it possible for us to remove it.  Thanks.

StephanieArrigo
Community Novice

Kristin,

Thank you for responding.  Yes, I would like to eliminate the Assignment column from the grade book.

Stephanie

jrstarne
Community Member

Allowing any category to be hidden in the gradebook would be very useful.  Many faculty use categories to hold extra-credit, non-credit or assignments they may or may not be used in a class.   It would help limit confusion if these categories could be suppressed in the gradebook at the discretion of the course teacher. 

marafinom
Community Explorer

Many Instructors I have worked with have expressed their frustration about how they cannot hide the Assignment Group columns from themselves in the Grades area. We're aware of the ability to hide totals in the student grades summary, but that does not change anything in the Grades area for Teachers, nor does it actually get rid of the rows for Students; it just hides their scores.

The Grades area tends to get cluttered easily, so anything to make it more neat would be helpful.

ibphysicsteach
Community Explorer

My district has created a bunch of "standard" assignment groups.  I intend to use only two of them--the rest have a 0% weighting.  I don't know if I might ever utilize the other groups--but I shouldn't have to delete them in order to exclude them from the gradebook view.

LizHenry
Community Explorer

Please, add the ability to hide assignment groups from the instructor gradebook area. Our instructors are expressing their issues with not being able to hide the assignment groups.

marafinom
Community Explorer
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived