[People] Hide Inactive Enrollments on People Page

Student enrollments which have been set to the "inactive" status currently show up on the People page tagged with the "inactive" label. We are now using the inactive status for students who have enrolled in a course, then dropped it after the start of the term. In large enrollment courses, these inactive enrollments will begin to clutter the People page when there are many of them. Please provide a method for hiding inactive enrollments on the People page, perhaps similar to the way they are hidden by default in the Gradebook (and can be shown by selecting "Show Inactive Enrollments").

55 Comments
maf99
Community Novice

I don't understand why if someone isn't in my class, they are on a list I can't navigate out of. Seems illogical.

navina
Community Novice

Hello Everyone interested in seeing this feature request get pushed through!

I too am reminded of how inconvenient this page's logic is at the start of each term. That's probably the only time I remember too. Many faculty are feeling the same frustration right now, with the start of the Fall term. I will be reaching out to my whole campus to ask for support on this. If any of you can do the same, maybe we can get the needed 41 additional votes to get this on the radar of Canvas team. 

Here is the message I will be sending all faculty. I have added a hyperlink to this page.:

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all doing fantastically this Fall term. I wanted to take a moment to ask for some support on this Canvas feature request. If you’re anything like me, you’d agree that the “People” tab can get pretty overwhelming to look at. Inactive enrollments fill the page, with no way to sort them. Take  a moment to show some support of a feature fix. If Canvas sees this request get enough interest, they will consider working on a fix for us. Smiley Happy

All you have to do is:

1.     Follow this link to the Canvas Feature Request- Hide Inactive Enrollment on People Tab
  2.     Login, top right hand corner of page.
  3.     Vote this feature up.

Thank you!

rmf5
Community Novice

For several years now, I have asked why someone at Canvas thought it would improve my life to have page after page after page of inactive enrollments cluttering my view of actually enrolled students.  I tried to bring this to their attention, but they can't seem to get their heads around the fact that most instructors have no interest in seeing informaiton about non-enrolled students.  How hard can that be to comprehend?

bkomanetsky
Community Novice

I noticed you can do this on the Grades section, why would you not automatically want to do it on the People section as well.....  

venitk
Community Champion

Every term I field questions from my faculty as to why this or that student is still in their course. 

PSU_Tony
Community Contributor

Yet another much needed thing that people have been waiting years for. Sigh...

slbergh
Community Participant

@PSU_Tony ‌ As in literally years! My last comment about this was 2 years ago. I still cannot understand why Canvas thinks I would care to know who dropped my course. The only time I might possibly want to know would be if I'd assigned someone to a group and they later dropped the course. Otherwise, honestly, who isn't there is of no consequence. 

It was suggested that this was a problem between the SIS and Canvas, rather than just Canvas, but I see a whole lot of people who aren't using our system who seem to be feeling the same way. In my experience, when there's a widespread problem and there's one constant involved, it's generally because of that constant.

preedy
Community Member

I absolutely agree.  How hard can it be to simply provide a sort option to see only active students.  I was giving a quiz yesterday to 113 students and using 'Moderate' to see which were taking the quiz and those who were not.  In 'Moderate' all of the inactive students are included and are not even labelled as inactive, so unless I can remember the names of every active student, there is no way to know if a student missed the quiz or is simply a dropped student.  Come on guys!

nicole_allenrya
Community Member

Hide Inactive enrollments should be an option in as many places as possible:

1. People

2. New Analytics

3. Any place that aggregates Data (outdated Data = inactive enrollments)

slbergh
Community Participant

I've been waiting for quite a while for this. I do database work in addition to everything else and it's really as simple as "select * from... where active=1". I'd be happy to help them with the query if it would make this happen!