Hide Question Value from Students While Taking Quiz

0 Likes
(2)

When students are taking a quiz, there is no way to hide the point value for questions from them. This is an important feature because sometimes knowing the number of points associated with a question gives something away about how many parts are in a response. In any event, this is a simple fix: other LMS allow for this (for example, Sakai). Please add this function immediately: instructors should be able to choose whether or not students see the point value of a question on a quiz.

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

beckster1999
Community Member

I think it would be hurtful to the students to take it away. Knowing the point worth also means that if a student isnt as strong on a question thats worth less, they dont worry as much which means their responses will be better (because better mental health means better functioning); and in terms of the point you brought up of knowing how much of a response to give; for open response questions, if the instructor does not give the students how much of an answer is expected, then it is the instructor's, and only the instructor's, fault if the student gives too much or too little of a response.

Instructors should not be grading on things irrelevant to what is being taught- for instance if I have trouble with spelling (and I should not need a dyslexia diagnosis for this to be true) and I am not in a language class, it should not matter as long as it is understood what exactly I am trying to write. If I get the answer correct in one sentence with all the expected parts, and was expected to have 3 sentences, i should not get points off. 

If the reasoning is that you do want students to have everything memorized, then it should be a low-point worth quiz, in which case you can split it up. Memorizing is hard and the idea of memorizing every word, equation, etc without reference ONLY uses working and short term memory. Utilizing the material uses long term memory, so providing the expected amount of response helps the student show what they actually know.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.