Hide/Show Inactive Students In All Areas Listing Enrollments

0 Likes
(1)

This idea expands further into other areas as it relates to other idea conversations previously started by other users.  The ability to hide/show inactive students should exist in any area where enrollments are listed.  The following are the key ones:

• People
  • Gradebook (the new one; it existed in the old one)
  • Moderate Quiz (this is the worst one because they are not even marked as inactive; when trying to moderate a quiz currently in session, this lack of the inactive status showing makes it especially difficult when you are wanting to prompt students who haven't begun a test within a certain time frame.
  • Inbox

Please strongly consider enhancing Canvas with this important and helpful change.  We leave dropped/withdrawn students inactive rather than deleted to ease the process of teachers needing to view grades and submissions by those students.  However the downside is that it causes some cumbersome scenarios and even confusion for teachers during normal grading and other procedures.

Thank you for your consideration.

5 Comments
Allie_Dilts
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @ccasey1

Thanks for the feature idea! I know you mention that there are existing ideas for some of the areas where you'd like to see this update. Per our ideation guidelines, I've put this idea in moderation and I'd ask that you add your comments to those feature ideas. You can also modify this idea to focus only on filtering the inbox student list. Also, please note that student list filtering (by inactive and concluded enrollments) is currently available in the Canvas gradebook

Existing ideas: 

Thanks, 

Allie

Allie_Dilts
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

Hi @ccasey1

I see that you've revised your idea. Nice! However, per our idea submission guidelines, it still doesn't meet requirements to open for conversation. (Please see the Submission Guidelines section in this guide, particularly related to the "Have one idea per conversation" section.) A properly revised idea would focus on one of the four areas currently listed above (People, Gradebook, Quizzes, and Inbox). Additionally, because there are existing conversations related to your request—as noted in my initial response (New Quizzes moderation and People)—you'll need to add your comments, ratings, and kudos to those existing ideas rather than include them here. 

Finally, if the current existing functionality for filtering the student list in the Gradebook does not meet your standard, that's totally fine, but you'll need to create another separate feature idea that explains the enhancement you wish to see that is not currently there. 

Hopefully this helps clarify the expectation for idea submissions (and for this idea submission). Should you have any questions, please reach out. If you don't wish to make these revisions, that's ok too. I'll archive your idea. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

rhorn
Community Member

@Allie_Dilts 

You say:

"Also, please note that student list filtering (by inactive and concluded enrollments) is currently available in the Canvas gradebook."

But this is not wholly true. For some reason, inactive students continue to show in BOTH sections of a course if they are moved to a different sections. They even get notifications for BOTH sections. I don't think this is desired functionality. We are going to have to go in and delete the inactive enrollments instead, which we NEVER like to do because of losing visibility to past assignments.

I don't know if this is an "enhancement" or just a bug.

Allie_Dilts
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @rhorn

Thanks for the follow-up comment! Apologies for my misunderstanding. The student displaying in both sections and receiving notifications for both sections sounds... not quite right. I'd recommend reaching out to Canvas Support to share your experience with them. This could be intended behavior, and if it is, they'd be able to explain it. If it isn't intended, they'll know how to diagnose the situation and send it to the right people to address it.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions and I'll do my best to help. 

Thanks, 

Allie 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived