Hide grade columns for teacher gradebook

(7)
As a teacher, I would like to be able to hide gradebook columns in my gradebook after I have completed grading or if the assignment has not yet been assigned.  This would shorten the length of the gradebook that I need to currently scroll across to get to the most recent assignments to grade and limit the potential for accidentally clicking on a cell and changing the grade while navigating.  I know that I can resize the columns individually, but I want to be able to hide or collapse the columns and get them back, if necessary.  There is currently a suggestion for hiding grade columns from students open for voting, which is a different type of request.  My same suggestion was recently made by Letty but archived as being the same as the request to hide grade columns from students, which is not the same thing.  Richard has also suggested hiding the grade columns as part of a multiple issue request.
46 Comments
cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

Excellent idea. We MUST have a way to reduce all that scrolling-to-the-right.

I see that Grant Harbor asked back in July about a status update. I don't see a response.

Can someone chime in, and let us know where this issue stands?

Thx.

careysmith
Community Participant

I definitely agree. For my MATLAB programming class, students need to submit a separate code file for each problem that I can test and grade individually. I can't lump them together. Each day I have in-class lab assignments and take home assignments.

Therefore, I have about 150 assignments, so scrolling across 10+screens is hopeless.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

This popped into my timeline. Huge number of votes for it. Probably the number one issue in our school where we have courses that up to six teachers teach on and not all using sections. Creates a ridiculously long Gradebook and frustrates staff to see all the additional stuff even when you hide other sections.

i really wish Canvas would improve this voting idea. Too many great features suggested that are just sitting there with people not sure what will happen to them. Canvas need to give more timely feedback especially for items that are part of longer term projects.

I'm afraid that 6 months with no mention hardly inspires confidence to engage with the process?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

krhughes
Community Novice

I have almost daily assignments. We are a month into class and I already have an unbearably large gradebook -- at LEAST make it sort right to left instead of left to right!!!!! This is crazy.

gharbor
Community Participant

Having looked at the new Gradebook changes to come you will be able to do this.. looks like it will be in early 2018 based on the project timeline.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@chantal_obrien ‌

Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ is currently underway.  There are users testing the beta experience and collaborating in Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  I'm not sure if you have access to the new gradebook yet, but if not you can ask your local Canvas admin to request it.  There you will find new advanced filtering that I'm curious to see if it better meets your needs.  It's not currently in the scope to hide columns.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I am in the beta and filtering by Modules is working very well for me.  So very useful - thank you Canvas!!

beatty
Community Novice

PLEASE make this happen! As a high school teacher in a school with year long grades, this would make grading a lot easier and by May, Canvas will load faster. This is literally one of the few things my school has wanted since we got Canvas four years ago. 

The Modules in Beta is not applicable for all of our teachers, so we would like this to be a stand alone option in the grade book. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

srodriguez5
Community Novice

My current Gradebook has 123 columns, making it rather painful having to scroll from assignment to assignment. Please, give us the ability to hide all the columns that are not relevant to us at the moment.

krhughes
Community Novice

Use modules (aka units) and categories and then you can use the filter drop downs to only looks at the assignments you want.

Kristen

650-787-2541

Sent from my phone

careysmith
Community Participant

I saw the idea about using modules and filtering in the gradebook. I have 10 moduels and assignments grouped by 4 categories (in-class, HW, tests, & final), but I do not see any option in the gradebookto filter by assignment type or by module. The only filter is by student name or ID. So, we need better. Even the Free "MyOpenMath" has several filtering options.

cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

Carey... Canvas has a "new gradebook" that is in beta. If your institution has enabled this beta feature, instructors can choose to turn it on for any course.

To turn on this new gradebook (and, to see if your institution has enabled the option):

- Go to "Settings"

- Click on "Feature Options" (tab)

- Look for a toggle called "New gradebook" (If you don't see this option, then this feature has not been enabled for your institution)

- Turn it to the "On" position

- Go to Grades to see the effect (no need to hit "Save")

- You should now see additional filtering options under "View"

Thoughts?

Cliff

careysmith
Community Participant

Thank you.

Carey Smith

Oxnard College

Math, Physics, Engineering

805-216-7067 (mobile)

careysmith
Community Participant

So, I tried the new Beta gradebook.

I like that I can filter by module.

However, the interface when I click on a student's assignment has changed. It doesn't show the date that the assignment was submitted.

Also, It forces me to go to the speed grader to download the files and only has a small to write comments.

So, I've reverted to the old gradebook, at least for now.

Carey Smith

Oxnard College

Math, Physics, Engineering

805-216-7067 (mobile)

blangston
Community Participant

Four years later and still a feature not added to Canvas yet. 

lauren_weber
Community Novice

This is still a problem- the work around is not available... any update???

a_tognetti
Community Member

As above. Are there any updates? the ability to simplify the appearance of the grade-book is key. Many of my assignments are non graded, and they just clutter the GB.
i understand that maybe a "hide individual column" might be a hassle to code (although i think even blackboard had that) but considering "filtering" is already in place, maybe a simple filter that display: "all" - "grade" - "non grade".  It seems like it would not be so difficult 

lauren_weber
Community Novice

This idea has been around so long and would be SO helpful. It is so hard to see grades when we get to have so many of them, it seems like a collapsible tab would be easy to add (similar to how it is in assignments)! Thanks!