[Modules] Hiding and Viewing Modules for Individual Sections

Parts of this have been mentioned in previous requests (Modules within Modules and others) and I wonder if this is more to do with the needs of K12 than beyond?

We run a model based on UK curriculum which may be different to other school models (10+ subjects in a timetable, classes selected by ability, external examinations in 2/3 year groups, different content taught depending on the class etc). Having begun our implementation of Canvas the last thing we wished to do is create individual courses for each class and teacher in a subject. With up to 9 classes in a subject this would be an administrative nightmare and would go against much of what I believe a VLE is for - forward facing, collaborative, personalised, sharing of resources etc.

The reality is at school level it is very very difficult to create a core course that is truly personalised without some form of conditions/restrictions especially as "content is king". We add our classes as separate sections which enables assignments to be posted to individual classes. We would dearly like Canvas to go further and enable this option for other content such as pages/links etc.

The idea being suggested though is for teachers to be able to hide/view modules for individual sections

This would allow content (pages, links etc) to be viewed by individual sections. It would give teachers and students the best of both worlds. Modules could be 'turned on' for all sections or individual sections. It would allow you to create differentiated blocks of content/resources eg for those students who are perhaps sitting the 'Higher Level' exam. It would also allow us to support subjects where they have banded/set ability groups. It would also support subjects where topics are done on rotation due to resourcing. It would also reduce the risk of common core subjects such as Maths/Science developing vast 'silos' of resources/modules and making navigation harder than it should be. Would it also be less messy than Conditional activities?

I know that some suggestions have talked about creating extra courses but with the majority of our students having up to 15 courses to manage, the last thing I wish to see is doubling up courses and reducing engagement.

I think this is more of a K12 issue and it would be nice to see a little bit of love sent their way...

UPDATE: APRIL 2018

I was at the Dutch Users Group consortium on Friday. This consortium represents a sizeable and growing number of universities, colleges and schools within the Netherlands. As a group, we identified a number of ideas we wished to take forward and the one above emerged as a clear favourite (without any prompting from me!)

This is now an idea that has support across multiple educational organisations and the benefits of this idea are seen as hugely positive and wide ranging.

As the last comment on this was 16 months ago and 2 years since the idea was published, it would be nice to know what progress, if any, has been made here.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

93 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

UPDATE: December

Was at a recent meeting of the Dutch Users Group who had strongly recommended this idea along with two others. The feedback we received was that it was currently not going to happen and the idea seemed to be only addressing a small group of people ie Netherlands. I argued against this citing the diverse range of users who have contributed and voted.

There we have it...

millersd
Community Novice

A similar idea/request is rising in popular vote and could use all of your support.  Here is the link: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5689-unlocking-modules-for-individual-students 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Thanks  @millersd  . I have contacted the Dutch Users Group to encourage them to throw their support behind this idea.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Another EDtech idea mothballed for a further year. Personalisation of learning content is such an important feature. We need the flexibility of providing different content for different individuals outside of Mastery Paths and external Conditions. We also need to encourage staff to share content in live ways not through Teacher only courses. 

michelle_souvan
Community Participant

This option would make it much easier to differentiate for Special Education students in courses regular courses.  The ability to publish a module for a neurotypical student to move on and keep the view for a student that needs a more measured pace unpublished is necessary.  Currently the only workaround is to have students in separate courses.  A huge amount of work for the teacher to maintain separate courses and limits students' access to collaborative opportunities.

ruben_geldof
Community Novice

It is also very important for adult education to develop this function. Tailor-made education for each student is the future and being able to make a module visible for certain students or a certain section is crucial. The Mastery paths are important and would get a new dimension with this function. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this function is being developed.

monica1_overmie
Community Novice

As a K-12 Regular Ed. Math Teacher during this global crisis and being forced to teach online I find it ridiculous that this feature has yet to take action! It was brought to your attention 4 YEARS AGO!!

When asked told to teach using Canvas I thought it was because it was beneficial and inclusive for all students; not true! Canvas has many issues, but this is the biggest at the moment! Canvas needs to provide modules with the accessibility to be assigned (or viewed) by an individual student or small group of students within a section - ASAP!!

In the midst of this global pandemic you'd think that this feature would've been set into motion by now. How do you expect teachers to teach, modify, extend, challenge, scaffold, ect. if your only settings are all or nothing? Assignments and assessments are not the only things teachers modify. We sometimes have to modify the instructional delivery - directions - grading; all without bringing attention or singling out students and this is currently IMPOSSIBLE on the Canvas platform!  

In a physical classroom I ask leveled questions throughout my instruction keeping all students engaged. I provide modifications & accommodations to individual students without singling them out or bringing attention to their educational needs. Now that we are in a virtual classroom my only options are: (1) provide individualized instruction (also known as: best teaching practices) outside of Canvas (exclusive), (2) modify ONLY assignments/assessments (What's an alternate assignment if students don't understand the content delivery?) or (3) give all students the same virtual instructional model. How do any of these 3 options maintain a true inclusive classroom setting? An inclusive classroom setting - a legal  requirement for some of my students!

If I haven't stressed it enough let me say it again: Canvas, the absence of this feature is a legal issue! If I can't provide students with equal access to educational resources within a virtual platform (without isolating them from their peers) then what is the point? Educators are throwing up their hands because we don't have a virtual platform that attempts to keep the "educational-playing-field" equal for all

It's been 4 years too long! It is time to add this feature! 

- Thank you for making this happen, 

A passionately concerned educator! 

dave_perry
Community Explorer

I come from a former moodle house - moodle was capable of doing this before this idea got posted here.

You would think that with nearly 400 upvotes it would be put onto the 'implement' list? It is one of the biggest issues we have with canvas, especially like you say where we have multiple groups (or almost identical courses such as Diploma and Certificate) using the same course but separated user-wise using Sections. We will be doing a lot more sectioning for the 20/21 academic year, but so far we can only see Assignments being able to use it. Modules is the next most important thing for us, to see this feature.

tmoore8
Community Member

4 years later and this hasn't happened yet, how do we get this to move forward? I was trying to find a voting spot or something but as the world transitions to a lot of online classes, this makes so much sense. 

dvander
Community Member

This would be an incredibly useful tool. Please add this to Canvas features.