Hot Spot Question type

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I know this has been requested before, but PLEASE resurrect it!  I teach anatomy-based courses and I really need this question type.  Similar types are used on national board exams in many professions.  Our campus is currently deciding between Blackboard and Canvas, and, I have to say, the lack of hotspot question types is the closest thing I have to a deal breaker.  I really like many of the Canvas features, but I NEED this question type to be available to me.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
34 Comments
foleyl
Community Member

I have voted, and I've passed this along to the School of Nursing faculty who are participating in the Canvas pilot. We need this for the NCLEX-style questions! Thanks, Sharlette!

andersonshar
Community Novice

Thanks, Laura! Hopefully we can get enough votes. I appreciate you passing it along…I’ll keep looking for places to send it.

Sharlette D. Anderson, MHS, RDMS, RVT, RDCS

Clinical Assistant Professor/Clinical Coordinator, DMU Program

Department of Clinical and Diagnostic Sciences

Faculty Advisor, MU Student Society of Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound

Wakonse Fellow

University of Missouri School of Health Professions

420 Lewis Hall

Columbia, MO 65211-4230

Ph: 573-884-4369

Fax: 573-884-8067

andersonshar@health.missouri.edu

mfontan
Community Novice

This type of question is also very important in many of the clinical diagnostic courses. Please add it! 

dperpich
Community Participant

This question type would demonstrate a real commitment to meeting the needs of our community of learners with diverse learning styles and evaluation objectives.  Maximizing accessibility for users with visual challenges will be critical.

jbrady2
Community Champion

@foleyl  I just had a request this week from a nursing faculty member who stated that she needs these types of questions for the exact same reason.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Voted for it first time around and again now. Hoping these votes persuade those looking at the new Quiz Engine to add it in?

nwlaccounting
Community Novice

I could use the hot spot question.  I give a test on specific software use and want students to be able to show me where they need to click to complete a task the hot spot question is very useful!!  I had it in Blackboard but had to drop this assessment when we moved to Canvas. 

I expect the talented people at Instructure will add it in the future.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This item type is under consideration and will be on the roadmap for the Modern Quizzing Engine​. I am not able to offer a specific timeline at the moment.

Jason

foleyl
Community Member

Wonderful news! Thank you for the update!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As my daughter says, awesomesauce!!