Hot Spot Question type

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I know this has been requested before, but PLEASE resurrect it!  I teach anatomy-based courses and I really need this question type.  Similar types are used on national board exams in many professions.  Our campus is currently deciding between Blackboard and Canvas, and, I have to say, the lack of hotspot question types is the closest thing I have to a deal breaker.  I really like many of the Canvas features, but I NEED this question type to be available to me.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
34 Comments
andersonshar
Community Novice

Thank you very much!!!

andersonshar
Community Novice

Jason...any more current news on a Hot Spot question type roll out?

I can't find anything current on the status of the Modern Quizzing Engine.

Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

andersonshar

The Modern Quizzing Engine is a huge project.  We do not have any updates at this time, but we'll surely share them as soon as we do!  If your following the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine​ document, you'll get an immediate notification when an update is added.

jhough
Community Participant

I agree!

Had a discussion with a science teacher today. She would love to be able to put an image into a quiz, and have the students be able to label the image as a quiz question. In this specific instance, she wanted to display an image of heat transfers and have the students draw or drag and drop an arrow showing the direction of the heat moving.

The chemistry question that she wants students to be able to draw arrows on.

GideonWilliams
Community Coach
Community Coach

Sharlette and Jennifer's Science teacher buddy..

I would suggest H5P (H5P - Free Interactive Content Creation with HTML5) or trying one of the other free Web 2 creation tools here - https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12/blog/2016/11/05/web-20-tools eg EducaPlay or LearningApps

Although they do not link to the gradebook (yet!) they will at least allow you to create the sorts of questions you want!

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @jhough 

There is a fairly simple work-round for this that most of our health career and science faculty use. I use this myself, and just described it to another member last week.

Depending on the type of hot-spot you wish to create use either a matching question or a Fill-in-multiple-blanks item type.

• Create your image with numbered arrows pointing to the areas to be identified,
  • For matching - create matching items list with corresponding numbers and correct responses.
  • For FIMB, create same image and create a blank that students fill in the correct responses in.

From your example I would simply use a matching item type, and have the students select from a list of directions.

I hope this helps,

KLM

andersonshar
Community Novice

Hello.

I do this currently, but would much prefer a hotspot type question because it’s more authentic to the actual work environment and helps prepare students for advanced question types on registry exams.

Working around with matching can be done but it’s still not as good as the real thing. I sincerely hope that Canvas can incorporate this type of question soon. Currently, I use REEF target questions in class to experience this type of labeling. However, I can’t easily use REEF for testing, so an updated quiz tool in Canvas would really be great.

Thanks!

Sharlette D. Anderson, MHS, RDMS, RVT, RDCS

Associate Clinical Professor/Clinical Coordinator, DMU Program

Department of Clinical and Diagnostic Sciences

Faculty Advisor, MU Student Society of Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound

Wakonse Fellow

University of Missouri School of Health Professions

420 Lewis Hall

Columbia, MO 65211-4230

Ph: 573-884-4369

Fax: 573-884-8067

andersonshar@health.missouri.edu

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

ryan_corris
Community Contributor

@kmeeusen  Thanks for sharing your creativity! 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta Quizzes LTI User Group 

This feature is now available through the new Quizzes LTI tool.  Find more information on the Quizzes LTI tool, and how to access it, at Quizzes LTI User Group 

The specific guide for this feature in the Quizzes LTI tool is How do I create a Hot Spot question in the Quizzes LTI?