Hot spot question type

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

37654_hot_spot.pnghot_spot.png

My comment: Hotspot question type should be an internally available quiz question type, without the need for a LTI-integration tool.

Original thread:

Hot spots for images for quizzes : Help Center

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
15 Comments
mjennings
Community Contributor

I agree that hot spot questions are extremely helpful. In fact one of our Nursing program's certification exams include this question type and I am constantly asked when Canvas will get it.

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This same feature was suggested by  @amarchan ​ where she posted:

There are many fields where it would be helpful to create questions with "hot spots"--areas you need to click to identify something (anatomy) or sometimes in sequence (music).  Thanks for considering!

mgonin​ also chimed in with the following:

This would be very helpful to our foreign language instructors as well.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I could see this as a wonderful application for humanities courses (paintings, photographs, architecture).

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Not being an instructor myself, I will entirely defer to others as to the importance of such a feature. However, being a Canvas geek, I can think of a simplistic workaround (at least for images). I am not totally picturing how it would be used for music and foreign language. The workaround I can think of for images is to edit them with boxes or numbers and include them in a matching question type. Such as this:

Screenshot 2015-05-07 at 05.09.33.png

pmceachern
Community Novice

Adding more interactive elements to the LMS would be a huge plus. This would be a game changer for many subject areas.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

77296_pastedImage_0.png84774_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

emily
Community Champion

We (a dental school) do something like this already with X-rays -" which of the numbered arrows points to the cavity?" type of thing.  But it's a much more realistic - and tougher - challenge to give the students a totally unlabeled X-ray and say "click on the cavity." When they get to the clinic, teeth won't have four labeled points to choose from! So hotspots would be really nice to have.

Emily

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@emily ​, this nearly identical feature idea is currently open for voting, so you might want to add your use case and feedback to it:

andersonshar
Community Novice

The lack of hotspot questions is the closest thing to a deal breaker that I have with Canvas.  I NEED this question type for quizzes and other assessments!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has resurfaced and will be open for voting February 3, 2016