How about, Don't bombard my students with pointless emails?

0 Likes
(2)

Why must my students get an email every time I post an assignment? I post all these in advance, set to go live at a later date. The students get separate instructions about when that will happen. They don't need to be notified that their professor was doing some work at 2:17 am four days before the assignment ever needed to be on their radar. Especially when I realize that I made a mistake and they get a second pointless email, which just confuses them further. They then write to me because they think they are supposed to be doing something, and I have to waste time explaining that they should just ignore those notifications. I make a point of not emailing them between classes unless absolutely necessary, and yet here's Canvas, bombarding them with pointless spam. They end up ignoring the few notification emails that actually matter.

Canvas doesn't have any business deciding on my behalf when my students need to be notified of something.

Tags (1)
1 Comment
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@graeme Thanks for providing this feedback. Canvas puts notification decisions in the hands of the recipient, which means that teachers and students choose their own notification preferences. Users won't receive notifications of changes made to unpublished content, so it's good practice to keep content unpublished until it's ready to be seen by students–but of course, on occasion content needs to be revised after it has been published. For those cases, if you'd like to see specific controls set on certain notifications—which is to say, that in certain circumstances and/or on certain content items there is reason for the instructor to suppress a notification—please write a focused idea centered on such a request. For example, here's a request to suppress notifications for grades associated with SCORM content:  Instructor ability to disable course notifications

Thanks again!