Image Gallery (Media Album) Feature in Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

I've heard from a few liberal arts schools that an image gallery feature in Canvas (either connected to the files section or in the pages area) would be very helpful. I've also heard this called a lightbox image gallery.

This would be something where the images are uploaded and easily displayed in a preview box. Clicking on the image would then allow it to expand for full viewing.

If this is something that would interest your institution, please vote up the feature.

David Keiser-Clark Mika Hirai

Gathering additional info about this feature request

October 2016 update by Chris Ward

There are a lot of image gallery solutions out there that have excellent solutions in this space. Take any of them, coupled with the Redirect Tool LTI from the Canvas Edu App Center (https://www.eduappcenter.com/apps/63#.WBfIweHyvu0) and you have really elegant solution.

We'll be archiving this feature idea. Thanks for voting and participating in the community!

29 Comments
csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We have seen a few institutions that would really like to have an image gallery object type that could be inserted into pages or modules or included as an assignment submission type. I know that at least one institution has discussed engaging with the Instructure Professional Services to deliver this feature, but at this time there is no contracted work for this feature.

Unfortunately the size of this project makes it too large of a project to be completed in the next six months given all the features we have planned.

G_Petruzella
Community Champion

Hi Deactivated user​ -

w/r/t a gallery-type tool, you might be interested (if you've not seen it) in an LTI tool the folks at UC Berkeley presented at instcon 2015​:

(04:30 has a good shot of what the tool looks like)

mgsmith
Community Novice

I have many courses requesting for this tool. Especially in a primary school where we want visually stimulating courses that showcase student work.

olexar
Community Contributor

Hey folks. I just saw this idea, and thought maybe some would be interested in .

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have just posted a new blog called Lightbox Effect which could be used as a work-around until something like this is implemented by Instructure.

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

There are a lot of image gallery solutions out there that have excellent solutions in this space. Take any of them, coupled with the Redirect Tool LTI from the Canvas Edu App Center (https://www.eduappcenter.com/apps/63#.WBfIweHyvu0​) and you have really elegant solution.

We'll be archiving this feature idea. Thanks for voting and participating in the community!

mgsmith
Community Novice

It would be good though to have the tool within Canvas. Can you give me an example of a good gallery tool you use?

We are currently using Sways to get around the gallery issue.

It would be nice though if teachers didn't need to go outside Canvas to do it. It would then allow more teachers to try it and wouldn't need to worry about ensuring every teacher ticks the correct privacy options etc..

regina_hierholz
Community Explorer

Hi Mika, I see you posted the idea to have an image gallery in Canvas. I just had a professor ask me about this today since his course that he signs a poster session is completely online this semester and so far we have not come up with an easy solution. I searched the community and found your comment. Since your comment was from April 2015 (and your example is exactly what he is looking for) I was wondering if you know of any type of solution thus far. Meanwhile I will keep searching. Thank you, Regina

mgsmith
Community Novice

We have started using Sway. Then they can be embedded into the course.

Would be great though if Canvas had this feature.

https://sway.com/