[Course Import/Export] Warn about Group Discussions/Assignments on Import

When copying content from other courses, any group assignment/discussion gets assigned to "project groups" as the default. It would be nice to have a warning after import to let the user know what assignments/discussions are set to groups to avoid any confusion once the course starts. 

We get countless support calls about copied courses where instructors forgot to update the group set assigned and experience errors in Speed Grader.

8 Comments
hesspe
Community Champion

@James_Kocher_UF    I sure am glad to see someone else reporting this.  We get similar support calls.  It almost seems like a booby trap.  "Oh Project Groups - that sounds like just what I'm looking for, and it must. be OK because there it is, entered as the default setting."

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

@hesspe  Just had our 3rd call about this today and said "enough is enough"  😄

Hope this gets picked up!

lindalee
Community Contributor

James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

@lindalee I agree on all of these. We were just talking about how it would be nice if students couldn't post to a group discussion if they weren't in a group. Give them some notice to contact the teacher.  

Considering your idea was posted in 2018, I'm not confident we'll see anything along these lines any time soon!

lindalee
Community Contributor

@James_Kocher_UF  -- oooof! Commenting on Group Discussions when you aren't in a group is really problematic. Those comments are added to what looks like the assignment itself, and they can be seen by the teaching team. But unlike file upload submissions, they don't "follow" someone if they are later moved into a group. So you can very easily end up with a situation where students make comments, later join/are added to a group, and they can no longer see those submissions in their group discussion.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme