Import and export courses, or parts of courses, to Configuration files.

0 Likes

I would like to import and export courses, or parts of courses, to a Configuration File (e.g. XML, but maybe easier for people to read)?

Then, for example, we could write a whole bunch of quizzes offline, then just import them.

As it stands, we have to write a quiz, click around to find things, know what they mean and how they affect other things. When I'm on my fifth quiz, we remember something that needed to be added to all of them (say, some instructions), then we need to click around to each one, make the changes with little to no visual feedback about which ones I've changed and which we haven't.

If we could export a quiz to a Config file, we can use the features of Excel or a text editing tool to make bulk changes, and import.

If done for a whole course, we could basically program the entire course offline in a Configuration File. Then make copies of it and make bulk changes, then import them without having to click around and find things and do everything individually.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@jeffaschwarz 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader discussion, since your example focuses on quizzes, have you experimented with the package that results from exporting the quiz as a QTI ZIP file? (How do I export quiz content from a course?) I wonder if there is a conversion tool that would allow an instructor to work with the data in that file.

jeffaschwarz
Community Novice
Author

No, I have not. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.