[Calendar] Import calendar from ICS file

I am aware that we can export our canvas calendar feed to another calendar but it would be nice to import calendar feeds too.

For example, I would like to be able to import my institution's academic calendar into canvas. I find myself having to re-enter important dates so that I can see them as I schedule assignments and tests--it seems silly to have to retype them when they are available as an ics file, if only I could import it.

Originally suggested on the old forum by Michael Young.

Added to Theme

72 Comments
crosby1
Community Novice

We have our day rotation in Google Calendar (and every other important school event) and it would be a major lifesaver to have this happen. My teachers have asked for it again and again. There is a workaround but its so time-consuming, inelegant and horrible that I won't be doing it. Please PLEASE make this happen in whatever way you can.

dhenry
Community Novice

Still hoping to see this feature soon!  All our administrative calendars are maintained in Google, so instructors are forced to flip back and forth between Google & Canvas when planning classwork.  Being able to link external calendar .ics files inside Canvas would be tremendously helpful!

DRBROOKS
Community Novice

Ok, I finally found an example of what the Canvas Calendar looks like in Outlook (both Outlook 2013 and 2016). Please see this link:  View multiple calendars at the same time - Outlook . It's the one in the middle (all green). It doesn't matter if you change the color of each course or make special colors for different categories (ex: Academic Calendar could be Blue, Assignments for one course green, another course red, etc.), when you download the .ics file and import it into Outlook they are all green. Not only that, it shows every detail of the assignment, so you must click on it, or view the day itself to view the entire entry. Thus making it a bit futile. Even if you view it in 1 calendar view. It would look Much better if it looked like image #3 on this page (Change to Month view) : Change how you view your Outlook calendar - Outlook.

Outlook and Microsoft Office in General is widespread and Education users receive a significant discount or it free, so it will likely be even more prolific. I understand if it can't be implemented in the next few months, the release cycle isn't cake.

I can make it a new topic to try to get over 135 votes if everyone wishes???

It is the calendar in the middle where the sentence ends in "This is the side by side view" (Microsoft, 2016)

Thank You @ Peyton Craighill Admin​ , @Donna Henry and @Scott Harris

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
kcamp
Community Novice

Yes, please! Having to manage our Google calendar and Canvas calendar separately is such a headache!

elaan
Community Novice

This would be a fantastic addition!

dhenry
Community Novice

Thanks for the information on viewing the Canvas calendar in Outlook.  Whether using Google or Outlook for your school calendaring, my thought for importing these calendars into Canvas is for the convenience of scheduling assignments.  Our school keeps several master calendars for different divisions.  Being able to view school holidays & activities, scheduled testing, etc. while scheduling assignments withing Canvas would be very helpful.  

im0976569
Community Novice

Yes, please! Badly needed! I have other calendars, including some that are not school related. I could import all my calendars into Google Calendar or iCal, but since I use Canvas more often for other things it makes more sense to put all my calendars there.

A couple of buttons under the existing "Calendar Feed" button with options to import using a URL or ICS file are all that are needed. Thanks!

haas_david
Community Novice

To add to the thread, adding an option of importing calendars would be REALLY helpful!!

Thanks!!

jpinto
Community Novice

This feature would be very useful to our institution as well.