[Calendar] Import calendar from ICS file

I am aware that we can export our canvas calendar feed to another calendar but it would be nice to import calendar feeds too.

For example, I would like to be able to import my institution's academic calendar into canvas. I find myself having to re-enter important dates so that I can see them as I schedule assignments and tests--it seems silly to have to retype them when they are available as an ics file, if only I could import it.

Originally suggested on the old forum by Michael Young.

Added to Theme

72 Comments
clare_crosby
Community Novice

I agree that this would be extremely helpful! I know that this feed is a couple of years old, so I really hope that this is still on the radar of the developers.  Please please please!!!

pkuntamukkala
Community Novice

Hi, I noticed that the original thread or idea was from back in 2015. I think this would be a very useful feature. I looked to do the same myself and through the "Help" option on canvas, landed on the idea search and eventually here. Please consider implementing this idea.

Thanks,

-Parineeta

morloff
Community Member

Calendar import is a common feature in other LMS platforms (BrightSpace-D2L, Moodle).  Most institutions have calendar programs in place and want to exchange data rather than manually add to another place which increases risk of erroneous/out of sync data.  As a way for Canvas to be the center of the learning ecosystem on many campuses, I strongly recommend considering this idea for implementation in the near future.

smurphy12
Community Explorer

This has been a request from several of the faculty so that they can see and manage events and reminders from one calendar instead of moving between the two. 

smiller10
Community Member

Very big need to be able to import or link to an external calendar from within Canvas courses. Administration, teachers and students want to be able to see school calendar within Canvas.

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

LOL

I made an OVERLY LONG post elsewhere about that this would be a good thing....but..... beware the consequences of good intentions! lol

I actually have the college's overall master calendar in my personal calendar that is on my smartphone also... which is a GOOD thing...but....

This colllege, like all colleges i assume, has....a POSITIVE FLURRY..... of things that are happening the first few weeks of a semester...and the end of the semester...just lots of things.

In other words...yeah....you are now "stuck" entering things....

but...if this is implemented, and I think that it should be, one will then be "stuck" deleting a LOT of stuff in....each and every section in their calendars of stuff that you do not actually want to be there...

just sayin'.

And, again, I like the importation of a calendar.. but....most folks do not know how to edit a "raw" icalendar...file..

So....here is how to do the deed....if you presently want it on your smart phone or home computer.

a) on your computer make a "personal calendar to edit" calendar... profile...

b) import the calendar

c) it will be SOMEWHAT tedious.... but go through and remove the events that you do not actually WANT in the calendar...

d) update it ...it will ONLY BE on your personal calendar and it will not feed "back" into anything...

e) download  or export the calendar

f) then import to the calendar that will be your master calendar...

g) you will then have the "college master calendar" without the things that you don't need and having the things that you do need.

h) depending on your calendar app you SHOULD be able to view "multiple calendars".... thus YOU...personally..... could view this "college calendar that I modfied" and your "other calendar" to see both or even three or four. 

i) this can get really "too much in the square" on a cell phone, but it does work.  on YOUR cell phone or computer..

But....again..... if this "college calendar import" is ever implemented you will be provided with an .ical or .csv file and instead of just importhing the whole thing the above method should provde a more workable amount of information from the colletge calendar.

or not..lol..

just a thought of little worth.

james

katie_davis
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful for moving our school calendar to our faculty 'course' so teachers can see all the school events on their Canvas calendar while planning.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

dwillis
Community Novice

This would be very helpful. Please, please, please.

h_carmichael
Community Participant

To add to this..... It would be helpful if importing into the calendar could be at a Canvas Course level and not just for the user. This would allow Lecture / Tutorial timetables to be brought in and shared with all students on the course as well as (when the time comes) importing the examination / assessment timetables.